unsaturated, muddy blacks

Demian Barba

hi.

in the photograph attached , i guess the desaturation and monochrome look is acomplished by art direction, but what about the muddy blacks? i will be shooting in S16mm, and even though a print may never be made, i don't want to relay on telecine to get those blacks. should i try overexposing and then pulling? if so, by how much? and how does pulling affect colors?

i will do tests prior to shooting.

thanks

post-2332-1100772616.jpg

post-2332-1100773080.jpg

• Premium Member

Underexposure is the direction to go if you want "muddy" blacks that lack detail and density. Slight overexposure generally increases shadow detail and gives darker ("richer") blacks. Pull-process may help give the "look" you want by reducing overall contrast. Likewise, use a film like Kodak VISION2 Expression 500T Color Negative Film 7229 if you want to start off with a lower contrast "look", and use underexposure to help "muddy" the blacks:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.4.4.10&lc=en

Or 7277:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.4.4.18&lc=en

• Premium Member

You sort of HAVE to rely on the telecine anyway, so why not use it to create the look you want? By which I mean, you could do it all in-camera and all it takes is a few twists of the knob for the colorist to "normalize" the image anyway, so either way, you have to control how the image is being transferred to tape.

A lot of this look is art direction and lighting. You could overexpose and pull-process -- maybe even a low-con stock -- to get this creamy look.

I would probably consider shooting something like this on a low con stock like 320T and soften the image further with a soft fx filter, or something similar. A healthy amount of smoke won't hurt either.

Why don't you try underexposing the image by a 1/2 stop, maybe more, and process as normal? I think that would be more effective then pulling.

Also, your lighting has to be low contrast; in other words make sure you're using the middle part of the curve, of the stock you are using.

Good luck.

thank you very much for you responses.

i though about under exposing, but i am afraid that would increase the grain too much. i would like to use a 200 asa, either 7217 or 7274.

could you recomend any low contrast lenses?

thanks again

demian barba