Creating top light

Alex Hall

Ill be shooting a jury room scene soon and i want to light it with top light coming down on the table and a little bounce coming up from papers on the table. This is a student film so the budget is nonexistent. I was thinking of skirting a few China Balls above the table to keep the light directed down. Is there a better way of achieving this affect? Is there a rig I can build? Ill have a shooting stop of f4 so i will need some punch.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Alex

Edited by Alex Hall

• Premium Member

Get some black fabric scraps and gaff tape them to a few china balls for skirts. Simple, cheap, and effective.

I'd also maybe tape some diffiusion, like 216 over the bottom "hole" of the ball. Use some white masking tape for this, or maybe clear scotch on the inside so as to avoid shadows.

• Premium Member

black plastic table cloth from a party store (the type you would throw away when your done) is good for skirting stuff like that because it is not heavy at all. Its also really cheap, so would be a good choice for what your talking about doing.

Kevin Zanit

Get some flexible wire, take the china ball and secure it to a solid black flag using the wire. This way not only do you have a topper and a mounting point from the flag but you also have four sides that you can put skirts on & take away easily if needed. I would also put some diffusion at the bottom like the others have sad. I learned this awhile back from a gaffer I worked with and use it all the time. Probably one of the best ways to use a china ball, in my opinion. ;)

I was considering 500w daylight bulbs. is there a wattage i shouldn't exceed when using a china ball? im just thinking about the heat factor and ventilation.

Thanks again for all the responses, alot of great suggestions.

Alex