Short on the RED

F Bulgarelli

We shot this little short a week ago out in the Palmdale area.

Pretty much we had about 6 hours of daylight, basically available light with some bounce for the close ups and a bounced 575 hmi inside the tent, I've been relying a lot on the false color setting to determine exposure, I think it is very accurate. If I feel like I need to control the highlights I know that I can go under a bit and the latitude will still be there.

I'm very impressed with the latitude of this camera.

One of the actors is the "agua" guy from "No Country for Old Men"

Let me know your thoughts:

Thanks

Guest Owen Parker

Francisco,

great little film, really like the look and a hell of an achievement for 6 hours filming.

I'd be interested to see what you get out of the camera in low light, I've heard Red's

pretty good in those situations.

Nice work

Owen

Francisco,

great little film, really like the look and a hell of an achievement for 6 hours filming.

I'd be interested to see what you get out of the camera in low light, I've heard Red's

pretty good in those situations.

Nice work

Owen

Thanks Owen, I'm glad you liked it.

Actually. the RED is very good in low light, truly a 320 asa but I have shot at 500asa and the image holds very nice, it doesn't get too noisy, you have to be careful though, from my experience, you can't go much farther than that.

˙Here's some clips of another short I did, it has some night interiors, this will give you n idea how the camera performs.

We shot with the Zeiss t1.3 and I was around 1.3/2 split, sometimes t2.4 some scenes were brought down in post.

http://bulgarelli.adbeast.com/reels/sr_fb_narrative/

Hope you enjoy it

Wow, some beautiful footage you captured Mr. Bulgarelli, the Red is an amazing camera. It's exciting to watch the evolution of digital. There was a great article in American Cinematographer on Sci Fi Channel's 'Sanctuary', the first television series to use the Red One camera.

I'm actually a film student in Texas, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what your primary lighting instruments were particularly for the opening scene of 'The Debt', as well as how you achieved the warm light in the bar and 'sitting in car' scenes. I would greatly appreciate it as I'm looking to get a similar look in an upcoming shoot. Thank you for your time!

-Mitch Monthie

What a great film! It had a very touching human story, and was terrifically acted. The RED does produce fabulous images in the right hands. However I thought the colour balance was slightly blue. It suited the inside of the tent, but outside I don't think it worked. That aside, fantastic cinematography.

Good stuff!! ;)

Edited by Matthew Buick

What a great film! It had a very touching human story, and was terrifically acted. The RED does produce fabulous images in the right hands. However I thought the colour balance was slightly blue. It suited the inside of the tent, but outside I don't think it worked. That aside, fantastic cinematography.

Good stuff!! ;)

Thank you Mathew, yes, perhaps it 's a bit blue, we didn't have time to do a very thorough color timing because of a deadline but once with time we'll improve it

Looks good, a bit more yellow would help a lot (I guess).

Any polarizing or ND used in the process?

What aperture were the shoots (inside tent and exterior) and what lenses if is not too much.

Merry X-mass and Happy Hanukkah.

Hello there,

I used a pola and nd9 outside and was shooting around t4/5.6 split, inside the tent we were atound t4 without any filtration.

We used zeiss t2.1 lenses, mainly 16mm, 28mm and 40mm.

thanks for the comments and happy holidays

Wow, some beautiful footage you captured Mr. Bulgarelli, the Red is an amazing camera. It's exciting to watch the evolution of digital. There was a great article in American Cinematographer on Sci Fi Channel's 'Sanctuary', the first television series to use the Red One camera.

I'm actually a film student in Texas, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know what your primary lighting instruments were particularly for the opening scene of 'The Debt', as well as how you achieved the warm light in the bar and 'sitting in car' scenes. I would greatly appreciate it as I'm looking to get a similar look in an upcoming shoot. Thank you for your time!

-Mitch Monthie

Thanks Mitch, I'm glad you liked my work.

For the opening scene, we used a 12oo hmi with light difussion on the lens, also we had a 1k tunsten with 1/2 blue bouncing in the bedroom and some other small units for accents.

Th warm in the car scene was from a 4x2 kino with a bit of warm gel on it, I believe we used 1/4 cts, the warm in the bar was done in the color timing.

hope this helps,

Francisco