Photo bulb for worklights

Tom Hepburn

Hello,

I have what I believe is a basic question:

I have a Lowell Omni light kit that has four 500 watt 120v bulbs/lamps that contain two prongs at the bottom (they are semi spherical, not double ended).

I also have four 500 watt (home depot) worklights that I have used in the past prior to getting the Lowells. The bulbs in them are halogen double ended tube shaped lights bulbs. I've noticed that these work lights appear much more yellow even though they are 500 watt halogens. My question is if I purchase "photo" lamps like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100...#specifications

will they be the same color temperature as my Lowells or is that not possible given that they are lights that were not designed for photo/film purposes?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

I am certainly no expert on this, but I would think that the 3100 K temp of the BH bulb in a work lamp would be like 3100 K in any other lamp. Altough 3100 strikes me as a little warm (?) I couldn't see the temperature on the lights at Lowel homepage - probably depends on the bulb...?

Oh, well - not that much help....other than bumping you up on the front page ;)

Kristian

Anyone? I'm falling off of the first page.

T

Color temp of the "work light" globes tends to be little lower than that of the equivalent stage and studio globe. If you want globes with a color temp that approaches or matches that of the Omni, you have to buy better quality. Even replacement lamps at HomeDee or Lowes should have the color temp printed on the package. Try Ushio FDF (clear globe) or FDN (frosted), 3200 deg. K. or the equivalent in GE, Radiac, etc. I don't think the GDA lamp will fit in a work light and at $18, it's no bargain.

Edited by JD Hartman

Also if color is critical, you may want to remove the safety glass infront of the fixture. I remember a few of them having a slight green cast to them. Of course this was back in school shooting table top with a 4x5 on transparency film, so that was major for us.