DSLR lenses field of view /35mm Cinematography

Felix Wiedemann

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Digital SLR system (Camera/Lenses) with the field of view matching 35mm movie cameras/lenses. Ideally I would like to use the camera on Recces almost like a Tewie/Pentafinder.

In other words: if on a recce I take a photo with a 50mm lens on my DSLR, will I be able to recreate that frame (field of view) on the shoot with my 50mm lens on a 35mm movie camera in the same camera position ?

Of course the aspect ratio comes into play. But I guess I could just find a system that matches the horizontal field of view and then crop my DSLR images top & bottom according to the aspect ratio we use on the film.

My thinking was that it probably only depends on the size of the CMOS-sensor matching the size of the 35mm negative. So if I find a a full frame DSLR with a sensor-size 35mmx23mm, then I should be able to achieve the same field of view as on a 35mm movie camera ? Any thoughts ?

Thank you very much !

Felix

Hi Felix,

Actually, you would be closer to the right fov with an APS-C format camera - like Nikon or Canons consumer SLRs. Full frame 36x24mm is similar (same?) as Vista Vision. In the old film SLR cameras, the film moved sideways through the camera. In movie cameras it moves downwards - so the image is captured across the film rather than along - if that makes sense. Full frame in a movie camera s35 is about 24mmx18mm so closer to an APS-C of about 24x15mm.

These are just rough numbers from memory, I may be a little off here and there:-)

Best of luck!

Kristian

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Digital SLR system (Camera/Lenses) with the field of view matching 35mm movie cameras/lenses. Ideally I would like to use the camera on Recces almost like a Tewie/Pentafinder.

In other words: if on a recce I take a photo with a 50mm lens on my DSLR, will I be able to recreate that frame (field of view) on the shoot with my 50mm lens on a 35mm movie camera in the same camera position ?

Of course the aspect ratio comes into play. But I guess I could just find a system that matches the horizontal field of view and then crop my DSLR images top & bottom according to the aspect ratio we use on the film.

My thinking was that it probably only depends on the size of the CMOS-sensor matching the size of the 35mm negative. So if I find a a full frame DSLR with a sensor-size 35mmx23mm, then I should be able to achieve the same field of view as on a 35mm movie camera ? Any thoughts ?

Thank you very much !

Felix

Thank you very much for your helpful answers Kristian and Danish.

That lens calculator is perfect for my needs. I will just print out the relevant lists and then I know the field of view relations between my DSLR and the format I am shooting on. Thanks !