Location and shooting ideas for mars?

David Cronin

Well they outta be doing more research than just this thread, don't you think? I know IIII would and.....did. I did one HELL of a lot of research for The Black Sky which takes place aboard a military starship in orbit around a strange planet in a nebula. the only reason we back burnered it was because of the massive anount of CGI required to do it right which I can't afford to do at this time but it is virtually complete and ready to go including several animation tests.

The look of the nebula came from Hubble shots of the Crab Nebula, It had a fiber filament like structure like a sponge under a magnifying glass that made it look alive which is exactly what I was looking for and I looked hundreds of nebuli which wasn't a chore because they were all unique and breathtaking. the asteroids in the asteroid sequence came from shots of asteroids taken by Deep Space 1 because I wanted them to look real in this case and on and on. BBBUUTTT that's just me. :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Did you guys actually READ this guy's post?

That's exactly what I thought! I was going to raise the point before someone decideD to give their argument muscle some flexing. Anyway, here's a photo of what I'd view as a suitably realistic, yet surreal mars landscape. Obviously there wouldn't be a palm tree, but this was the nicest photo I could find.

Now please let's not forget we're here to help David Cronin, rather than moan about the colour of Mars' sky.

Here you are. I just lowered the blue to almost nothing, lowered the green, boosted the reds and the contrast, and lowered the brightness a little.

All the Mars you'd ever need!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I need to correct my earlier location suggestion. The place I was talking about is actually closer to LA, right off the 395. The turnoff sign says "Fossil Falls." It's just north of "Little Lake" on the East side of 395. It's Fossil Falls, CA on google maps.