Looking for a "gritty/realistic" DOP

Kevin  Jones

Hey all, I'm in talks to with a production company to make a film that I wrote. Though it's still considered in the "Development" stage, and probably will be for the next two years, I'm trying to get a good amount of info into my mind about who and what I want to make this film with.

So, does anyone out there know some popular (or unknown) cinematographers who are good at makin' a film look gritty, realistic, etc?

I'm looking to shoot it on Super 16mm with Aaton's A-Minima and XTRplus cameras. If you know any DOPs who have shot on these cameras or in this format, don't hesitate to mention them as well. The budget for this film is looking to be as low as $500,000 USD, but the production company has said that they can produce a film up to $3 Million.

Any info is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Kevin

Guest Stephen Murphy

Kevin,

There are hundreds of DP's on this forum alone that could shoot your movie for you in any style you wanted. Rather then just searching for a DP who has already shot in a "gritty/realistic" style why not search for a DP who has a consistant body of work that you like and with whom you think you could collaborate on a personal level. Then between you, you can create a photographic approach unique to your project, rather then trying to replicate what someone else has done before for someone else's project.

I apologize, you'll have to forgive me, as I was going off of no sleep last night. What I really should have said is "anyone out there wanna make a movie in GA?" hah.

I'm not looking to emulate someone's previous work, though. I think the most important thing for a director to do through his work is create his own style; a style that is honed with the help of the cinematographer(s) he uses in his films.

Will do, Matthew.

Hey Kevin! I live in GA and just finished working on my first feature. Ive worked on countless short films and documentaries. You can check out some of my work at alexandergsmith.com. Check out the Dixie Times trailer for my 'gritty/realistic' look.

--

Alexander G. Smith

mail_at_alexandergsmith.com

alexandergsmith.com

Edited by Alexander Smith

Our very own Stuart Brereton did a fantastic job of the gritty look in 'The Devil's Chair'. You may want to search his website and see if that's the sort of look you're after.

Thank you for the props, Matthew, but I should point out that I only lit second unit on that film (although I operated the whole thing). It's also fair to say that most of that gritty faux bleach bypass look was created in post, without the input or knowledge of the DP.

Hey all, I'm in talks to with a production company to make a film that I wrote. Though it's still considered in the "Development" stage, and probably will be for the next two years, I'm trying to get a good amount of info into my mind about who and what I want to make this film with.

So, does anyone out there know some popular (or unknown) cinematographers who are good at makin' a film look gritty, realistic, etc?

I'm looking to shoot it on Super 16mm with Aaton's A-Minima and XTRplus cameras. If you know any DOPs who have shot on these cameras or in this format, don't hesitate to mention them as well. The budget for this film is looking to be as low as $500,000 USD, but the production company has said that they can produce a film up to $3 Million.

Any info is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Kevin

Hello Kevin my name is Kraig Swisher. I'm a DoP working in FL right now on a short film called "Splti" - it's a thriller about schizophrenia that I feel may have the gritty look your envisioning. It's still in principal photography, but the completed film will be done by spring.

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate your consideration. Please let me know if you're interested.

www.kraigswisher.com