NPR Vertical Smearing, HELP! ASAP!

Justin Lovell

Hope you can help me out!!

Just posted the clip online.

I had my Mirror replaced, and I don't know if this probem is with my mirror or with a problem of the way I setup my loops.

It looks like a streaking vertically, that becomes more noticable around highlights. It really shows up more when I have my shutter angle below 180 deg. (My tests show the angle at 180 and 70 degrees).

Could you check it out, I'm supposed to be shooting tomorrow morning (wed morning) at 8:30am! A little worried that the problem is with the mirror, and not with the loops.. if so, I gotta fix it asap.. somehow!

http://www.framediscreet.com/mike/Sequence%2001.mp4

Thanks!!!!

• Premium Member

Looks to me like a shutter timing error.

The way to check this is to load a mag with some dummy film and draw a long squiggly line down the length of the roll using a Sharpie.

Put the mag on the camera, take the lens off, and look thru the open port at the film in the gate as you advance the film manually, slowly. If the shutter is working correctly, that squiggly line visible on the film in the gate should not move until the mirror shutter has closed over the gate completely. If the timing is off, then you'll see that line start to move (and squiggle side to side as the film advances, which is why you don't want to draw a straight line) just as the mirror shutter is starting to close over it.

This means that the last percentage of exposure will be happening as the film is advancing, so the brightest areas will streak upwards vertically in the shot.

I don't know if there is a quick fix that you can do yourself to the shutter -- probably a technician has to fix it.