Fisher on Ice

Alexa Mignon Harris

Hi guys. I have to set up track for a 360 degree shot on an ice skating rink. Im thinking about putting furnipads, rubber matting or both under the tack so it doesn't slip. Is this a good idea? If you've done this before I would really love your input. I'm using 8 pieces of 45 to create the circle.

Im thinking that the heavier I am the better? So I was going to order steel track and the fisher 10. Is that a good idea? Thanks!

-Alexa M Harris =)

Hi guys. I have to set up track for a 360 degree shot on an ice skating rink. Im thinking about putting furnipads, rubber matting or both under the tack so it doesn't slip. Is this a good idea? If you've done this before I would really love your input. I'm using 8 pieces of 45 to create the circle.

Im thinking that the heavier I am the better? So I was going to order steel track and the fisher 10. Is that a good idea? Thanks!

-Alexa M Harris =)

I don't suggest you use 'track' on ice unless you put down a bunch of matte.. even then it is dangerous. I suggest you use the Fisher Skate Blades that are made for running a Fisher on ice. ;)

I don't suggest you use 'track' on ice unless you put down a bunch of matte.. even then it is dangerous. I suggest you use the Fisher Skate Blades that are made for running a Fisher on ice. ;)

Hi David. Thank you for your advice. I am already getting the Fisher ice skates. My problem is that there is this tracking shot and I need to keep the track and myself from slip sliding around. I understand that I can just mark the circle a use the dolly with skates directly on the ice but this can become inaccurate depending on how fast I have to go and I have a greater chance of falling myself. A friend just suggested that I investigate spiked rubber matting. Have you worked with that before?

I've seen ice screws (for ice climbing) used for securing the track down to the ice. Spiked mats sound like an interesting option though. But I know that when I run into an ice shot up here I want to build a rig to do it. I saw a camera rig that they built for "Blades of Glory" in the making of video that looked really cool, it looked like speedrail and some kind of discs, the "dolly" grip was on skates.

I've seen ice screws (for ice climbing) used for securing the track down to the ice. Spiked mats sound like an interesting option though. But I know that when I run into an ice shot up here I want to build a rig to do it. I saw a camera rig that they built for "Blades of Glory" in the making of video that looked really cool, it looked like speedrail and some kind of discs, the "dolly" grip was on skates.

The skating dolly grip! Awesome! Thank you for your input Michael. Being from Alaska Im sure your troubleshooting for the cold a lot. A friend also told me to nail the track down. This will work well if the ice is flat and minimal leveling is needed. If its not than I was also given the advice of plywood with the rubber matting underneath. Thats also great but would take a lot of wood. Ill see what happens when I go on the location scout next week. Thanks!

Hello All,

Some years ago there was a thread on cml (http://www.cinematography.net/Shooting_On_Ice_Skating_Rink.htm)

Hopefully this answers most of your questions,

Onno

Hi Onno!

Thank you very much for this link. Its also had great advice about what shoes to wear. Next week I have the tech scout so I will have more information about what Im dealing with size and level wise. You also posted it on dollygrippery and I really appreciate it. Bedankt! Ja, ik kan een klien beitje Nederlands spreken. Ik woonde 6 jaar op Curacao en mijn broer, vershillende neefjes en familie woonden en Nederland. Maar nooit ging ik daar. Well, not yet. Thank you very much again! Doei!

• Premium Member

On the tech scout, be sure to talk to the ice rink engineering folks. Ice rinks (at least the indoor kind) are a pretty thin layer of ice on top of a lot of refrigeration equipment, so driving anything into the ice rink is probably out and they will have limitations on how much pressure can be applied. Although they run those Zambonis over them, so I wouldn't think that pressure limits would be a limiting factor for you.