35mm Lenses on 16mm Cameras

• Premium Member
Hello,

I'm hoping to get a bit of info regarding the use of 35mm Lenses on 16mm cameras. Just wondering whether it is possible to use Zeiss Ultraprimes or Cooke S4is on an Arri SR-2 (fitted with a 16x9 gate).

Cheers,

Edward Goldner

Hi,

It's done all the time for longer focal lengths, for very wide lenses both Zeiss & Cooke make new S16 glass.

Stephen

As far as I understand it, the mounts for 16mm and 35mm lenses are often the same (eg. PL for 16mm and 35mm is identical). However, there could be problems with individual lenses.

I haven't ever tried myself, but I've heard on some cameras there can be issues with the excess light from a 35mm lens bouncing around doing strange things to the exposure. It seems logical to me, but having never tried it I cannot speak from experience and I guess it might vary from camera to camera. Anyone got any ideas on that?

• Premium Member
I'm not sure, but I think that the lenses you mention will not fit the SR2, something about the viewfinder being in the way, I do know for sure they will fit an SR3,

Cheers,

Oron.

Hi,

There are a lot of modified cameras, PL mount was not standard for an SR2 either IIRC. It's something you will need to check out at the rental house.

Stephen

Hello,

I'm hoping to get a bit of info regarding the use of 35mm Lenses on 16mm cameras. Just wondering whether it is possible to use Zeiss Ultraprimes or Cooke S4is on an Arri SR-2 (fitted with a 16x9 gate).

Cheers,

Edward Goldner

I looked into the same thing, between those 2 I would go with the s4's, but to answer your question it will fit on an SR3, and you can fit it on an SR2 but you need to adjust eh viewfinder, and it becomes annoying to look through.

edit: I remember one place telling me that the S4/I's will not work, but the origonal S4's will, the difference being the shutter mirror may hit the lense.

Edited by Chris Dingley1