Slate with Genesis

I was able to get on a commercial shoot the last couple days that was shot with the Genesis. From what I understand, the use of a slate for the camera is obsolete due to reasons (which I would love to hear from everyone) but at times they did in fact use the slate. Any reasons why they might have done this?

Thanks as usual!

• Premium Member
I was able to get on a commercial shoot the last couple days that was shot with the Genesis. From what I understand, the use of a slate for the camera is obsolete due to reasons (which I would love to hear from everyone) but at times they did in fact use the slate. Any reasons why they might have done this?

Thanks as usual!

If they used a device like clockit, then they needed no slate. If there were shots that they used the slate it meant that for whatever reason the syncing device was not connected to camera and sound, or the camera was in variable mode.

If they used a device like clockit, then they needed no slate. If there were shots that they used the slate it meant that for whatever reason the syncing device was not connected to camera and sound, or the camera was in variable mode.

I don't know much about the 'clockit' but does this external tool really work? (http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/Clockits.htm)

And the spot had no dialog that was recorded by any independent audio system. The only audio happening was a song that the talent was lip singing, which would be overlaid in post. So I couldn't find a reason for any syncing.

• Premium Member

Even when sound is going into camera and TC is jammed, I like to mark each take unless someone specifically asks me not to. I consider it my job to provide that backup and it's better to have it for backup than to spend loads of money resyncing things by eye is something goes awry is post. It's been known to happen.

I don't know much about the 'clockit' but does this external tool really work? (http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/Clockits.htm)

I just finished the 2nd season of a series where sound was recorded at 29.97 and cameras were

at 23.98. Ambient Clockit boxes did the cross conversion and out of 500+ tapes (HDCAM), maybe

half a dozen times they needed to manually sync. If set up properly they work. FYI do not use

gen lock.

Thanks Jonathan and Chris, I guess it is the 2nd AC's job to make sure there is that back up, until of course your asked not to do so.

Again, I have never had the opportunity to work with the 'Clockit' device Jeffrey, but it seems like it's worked for you. Great insight, thanks!

Again, I have never had the opportunity to work with the 'Clockit' device Jeffrey, but it seems like it's worked for you. Great insight, thanks!

I've only used Clock-it boxes for keeping 2 cameras in sync with the sound recordist's recorder & smart slate. In that case you just have to flash the slate and numbers in front of both cameras, just in case there are sync issues in post.

Is this strictly when using 'Clockit', or in general. Why?

Genlock is a way of locking multiple cameras to a single sync pulse. It's commonly used in OB units and other multi camera setups. Although the cameras are 'in sync', in this instance it means that the cameras are all in phase with each other and have horizontal and vertical lock. It does not means that the Content that those cameras are displaying is synchronised. For that you need jammed timecode or clapperboard.