Beginner wants to understand aspect ratios

Hello everybody,

as the topic of this thread is saying I want to learn about aspect ratios. I searched around in the internet but could not find a good resource where the whole topic is explained from the beginning to the end.

Perhabs someone can point me a way or would be so kind to give me a introduction into the topic ?

Thanks a lot

Hello everybody,

as the topic of this thread is saying I want to learn about aspect ratios. I searched around in the internet but could not find a good resource where the whole topic is explained from the beginning to the end.

Perhabs someone can point me a way or would be so kind to give me a introduction into the topic ?

Thanks a lot

hey there's a whole topic in wikipedia which explaines quite well what you are asking for :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

i advise you also to read the ASC manual, there's a section about aspect ratios.

good luck

Out of interest, are you particularly interested in PROJECTION aspect ratios, SHOOTING aspect ratios, or both?

The ASC manual, as recommended, is somewhat definitive on the topic but a weeny bit hardcore if you're fairly new to the whole idea.

The wikipedia article is good and if you keep googlin' there are plenty of informative articles out there.

I also suggest you research the term "anamorphic" as you'll hear it a lot, especially on places like this forum.