what type of film would best work for this effect?

Tom Norris

I have used 5285 indoors... it is done all the time. No need to look at Film as 'outdoor' or indoor'.. but rather it's Speed (iso) and Kelvin Balance (color temp).... and work in that realm (i.e. order Tungsten or HMI Lamps accordingly).

You can also do a ton in Post... but Reversal Film will get you headed in the right direction.

My guess is that the funky, unrealistic effect in the first link was done in post, regardless of the stock used. (Didn't check the other links. The first was enough)

Like, it didn't matter what filmed they used--they just maxed color saturation and contrast in post, which is okay for a minute or two--but anything longer, and it's just annoying and all wrong.

Can you imagine watching a feature film that looked like that throughout? But otherwise, I agree. I love those dynamic colors.

• Premium Member
Umm, maybe *50* -85? :P

According to the late John Pytlak, it was the same stock as E100VS (5085 edge code) the vivid-saturated version of the E-series Ektachromes.

Ahh, I was unaware. I've shot all of the E series film at one point or another, but I'm very bad at paying attention to edge code.

you could also try Fuji Vivid 160 T. Still a neg. stock, but with leanings toward the contrast and saturation of reversal. Also, you'd be surprised at how much punch you can get from force processing. You can look here for an example: Stock was 5246 250 D. For the punchy, saturated poop, I pushed the stock a stop and a half but left the EI rated at 250. The other parts are a full skip bleach on the neg. (rated at 400). Hope that helps.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

www.bobbyshore.com