DVD training for learning to use film cameras

Tom Norris

does anyone know of good video training on the internet or out on DVD for learning to use film cameras (like how to load magazines, how to operate them, etc)?

I'm looking more at training for higher end 35mm/16mm cameras (like panavision, or arri sr-2/3, or whatever), as opposed to home movie 8mm cameras, since I would like to get familiarized with them without having to spend $40k to buy one, or $2k/day to rent one to learn how to use them.

thanks!

Most rental houses will let you practise loading magazines and setting up the cameras. Find your nearest, give them a call and ask them if you can you practise loading on their premises. I suspect a suitable book covering the operation of the cameras you're using would be better than a DVD and having a changing bag (or suitable stand in) would help. You can download the manuals for the Arri cameras at their web site.

You won't get charged by the rental company for this and it has the advantage that they get to know you.

Learning to load mags is a hands on education and isn't some you can learn from watching DVDs.