Australia: Mandy Walker

Michael B McGee

without seeming disrespectful or rude, how did Mandy Walker get the Australia job? the trailers i've seen look lovely, but what did she do before this film? i researched her work on imdb and didn't recognize a single project. can anyone recommend a movie she's shot? how did Baz and the producers/studio hire her?

with complete respect,

MiKe

She has done a few features - all of which seem to have been nominated for a cinematography award. Looking a bit further than IMDB you'll find she's also done a few commercials, one of which was directed by Baz Luhrmann - so I assume he must have liked working with her. I've seen Shattered Glass, which at the time I thought was quite interesting, can't remember much about the photography through. I haven't seen Lantana, only vague recollections of seeing the trailer and publicity material for it at the time.

AC mentioned that they worked on Baz's Chanel No.5 shoot.

She DP'd it for him, and after that Baz gave her 'Australia'.

'Variety' seems to agree on this: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798754...yid=13&cs=1

Baz's Chanel No.5 ad:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoMbir_Qd4

oh yeah, i remember that spot. it sort of makes sense now.

i researched her work on imdb and didn't recognize a single project.

Just because you (in the US) haven't heard of Mandy's projects before doesn't mean she's not done anything.

Mandy is a highly regarded Australian cinematographer. Probably her highest profile jobs would have been Ray Lawrence's Lantana (2001)and the ludicrously expensive Chanel No 5 commercial for Baz. I was involved on an earlier film The Well (Samantha Lang) that she shot. Seek out those to have a look at. In every film she has used different techniques always to produce very distinctive looks, typically very redolent of the Australian light and the mood of the film. She is an accredited member of ACS. She wasn't awarded the Hollywood Cinematograher of the Year award for nothing either.

For that matter, what has Baz Luhrmann done before? Only 3 features in 18 years? What were Fox thinking? ;)

Just because you (in the US) haven't heard of Mandy's projects before doesn't mean she's not done anything.

Well, it only makes sense: The US being the center of the known universe, home of the brave Americans -designated by GOD himself to single handedly correct every world ill and rid the planet of terrorists and evil doers, all while valiantly showing the rest of the world the way towards American-style democracy and market driven economics . . .

What is not known in the US, is not worth knowing!

:(

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Mandy is a highly regarded Australian cinematographer. Probably her highest profile jobs would have been Ray Lawrence's Lantana (2001)and the ludicrously expensive Chanel No 5 commercial for Baz. I was involved on an earlier film The Well (Samantha Lang) that she shot. Seek out those to have a look at. In every film she has used different techniques always to produce very distinctive looks, typically very redolent of the Australian light and the mood of the film. She is an accredited member of ACS. She wasn't awarded the Hollywood Cinematograher of the Year award for nothing either.

For that matter, what has Baz Luhrmann done before? Only 3 features in 18 years? What were Fox thinking? ;)

chill out chum. it was just an innocent question. it had nothing to do with me being an american. you need to take care of some issues.

Guest Tim Partridge

Dominic,

Was Donald McAlpine unavailable? Team Luhrmann spoke very highly of him with the MOULIN ROUGE publicity in particular. I see he is currently shooting the WOLVERINE film.

... it had nothing to do with me being an american.

Although it most certainly was an innocent question, in fact, it does have to do with you being American. If you were Australian, you would have most likely known more about Mandy Walker.