Defiance

• Premium Member

This was a rubbish film with some terribly trite cinematography- that scene where they storm some nazi place guns a blazin' with cheasy frame/ shutter effects ugh. The majority was plain dull, never sure whether to be epic or melodramatic it settled for a confused middle ground- and that could be said for the whole of the film as well as the cinematography.

And what was going on with ze ackzents. Daniel Craig should never be allowed to try one as he is incapable of holding one for an entire sentence. The russian soldiers came out of the same timber yard as the cast of a daytime soap and why did all the well fed Jewish tree dwellars seem like extras from a woody allen movie. Not as daft as blood diamond, but still if you are attempting to make these kind of thought provoking films you should at least attempt to make them vaguely accurate.

I must admit I did stop watching about two thirds of the way through- I am beginning to think that life is too short for Ed Zwick films.

I heard some negative reviews on this one, but I'm required by law to see it since I'm a Jew.

I also heard that for something which was supposed to be historical, it was criminally inaccurate, in that for real, the Jews did some pretty horrible, or revolting, things.

• Premium Member
I heard some negative reviews on this one, but I'm required by law to see it since I'm a Jew.

I also heard that for something which was supposed to be historical, it was criminally inaccurate, in that for real, the Jews did some pretty horrible, or revolting, things.

I don't know about how accurate it was but the Jews in the movie were, at times, as bad as the Nazis from a human rights standpoint.

I don't know about how accurate it was but the Jews in the movie were, at times, as bad as the Nazis from a human rights standpoint.

Oh--then I WANT to see it!

I thought it was a whitewash of the real story, but the way you describe it, it wasn't.

• Premium Member
Oh--then I WANT to see it!

I thought it was a whitewash of the real story, but the way you describe it, it wasn't.

I felt it was pretty objective. The Jews were obviously the heros of the story but they also did some pretty awful things to the Germans, people who aided the Germans, and to each other.

Edited by Chris Keth