New to RED

Olivier Martinez

Hello all. I will be shooting my first feature at all and the production owns one RED. You can probably help me with some questions I have in mind: we want to shoot 4K / 2:1 with spherical 35mm lenses, if I need to shoot some highspeed work, I will switch to 2K, but can I still use the 35mm lenses? Will they become "longer", or do I need to take the 16mm lenses for 2K? Is it possible to shoot speedramps (25-100?) equal to the VSU-unit? Is there a viewfinder mask to compose for a posibble 2.40:1 ratio (if the producer want to get an anamorphic print out of it)? Thanks for some help!!

Olivier

we want to shoot 4K / 2:1 with spherical 35mm lenses, if I need to shoot some highspeed work, I will switch to 2K, but can I still use the 35mm lenses? Will they become "longer", or do I need to take the 16mm lenses for 2K?

They will produce identical results - the 35mm lenses become longer (taking a crop out of the center of the lens), and the 16mm lenses remain normal. At 2K, the 35mm lenses effectively become 16mm.

Is it possible to shoot speedramps (25-100?) equal to the VSU-unit?

Yes. Check the RED user guide for detailed instructions.

Is there a viewfinder mask to compose for a posibble 2.40:1 ratio (if the producer want to get an anamorphic print out of it)?

Indeed there is! :) You can mask for 2.40:1, 16:9, and 2:1.

• Premium Member
... do I need to take the 16mm lenses for 2K?

Mid range to long lenses designed for 35mm film will work fine. When you need to go wide, the optical compromises required to cover the larger frame are a consideration. So, if you need anything wider than, say, 25 - 35 mm focal length for the 2K stuff, it would be better to bring along lenses designed for the 16mm film format.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I have another question in mind: the anamorphic frame will be squeezed in the DI-process? or later with the laser transfer for the masternegativ? Thanks again guys.

Olivier

The laser recorder just takes the cropped spherical image and burns or writes every horizontal row of pixels twice to create a defacto 2X squeeze on the 35mm intermediate stock. So you can just color-correct looking at a spherical image and just make sure that they mark it for cropping to 2.40 plus conversion to anamorphic in their instructions to the laser recorder.

• Premium Member
Indeed there is! :) You can mask for 2.40:1, 16:9, and 2:1.

I'll add that the generated framelines can be in any of several different colors, too. I mention it because I recently had an operator suffer through a few days of having trouble seeing the framelines because he didn't bother to ask me if they could be changed.

Edited by Chris Keth