Recovering p2 data

Alessandro Conte

We have a problem. We made a mistake formatting an hard disk containing footage. The data lost were several "CONTENTS" folders coming from P2, recorded with Panasonic AG-HVX200 videocameras, in DVCPROHD. The hard disk is actually used in Mac OS system. How can we recover the lost data?

hi i'm not a geek but securizing data is one of the most important issue with the data technologie.

ususaly people are doing copys of copys, miror discs and complicated workflow to secure the data.

Data is the neg or the tape.

by formating the hard drive you erased your data.

i heard once about a software to have the data back but it's quite expensive and should be done at Mac consumer service nearby your place.

good luck but you'r contents may be lost.

• Premium Member
We have a problem. We made a mistake formatting an hard disk containing footage. The data lost were several "CONTENTS" folders coming from P2, recorded with Panasonic AG-HVX200 videocameras, in DVCPROHD. The hard disk is actually used in Mac OS system. How can we recover the lost data?

Whoops! Data Rescue for mac will let you see what is on the drive and recover it.

You are pretty much screwed. Sorry.

• Premium Member
You are pretty much screwed. Sorry.

As long as a hard drive has data on it it can be retrieved. It's the drives file system that tells your computer where the files are, and even if that is corrupt, the data still exists and can easily be retrieved. I use datarescue 2. http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php With it you can recover basically anything including deleted files. I have saved many a "lost" drive with it. There are a number of programs that do it. All you need is another drive for the data to be written to. Due to the method Macs write to drives, it's nearly impossible to lose data on it even if the drive is corrupted and can't be read by the computer.

As long as a hard drive has data on it it can be retrieved. It's the drives file system that tells your computer where the files are, and even if that is corrupt, the data still exists and can easily be retrieved. I use datarescue 2. http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php With it you can recover basically anything including deleted files. I have saved many a "lost" drive with it. There are a number of programs that do it. All you need is another drive for the data to be written to. Due to the method Macs write to drives, it's nearly impossible to lose data on it even if the drive is corrupted and can't be read by the computer.

Yeah, thats true with usual files, but the drive has been formatted. I have used Prosoft products before, but not to recover raw video, only word docs and the like. and its not always in great condition even when recovering a simple word doc. The drive was formatted. How can the contents still remain in their original form? Sure you can see what used to exist on the drive, but for video, I am thinking this guys boned. You can send it to a data recovery company, but it will cost some coin, and there's no garauntee of the integrity of the video.

• Premium Member
Yeah, thats true with usual files, but the drive has been formatted. I have used Prosoft products before, but not to recover raw video, only word docs and the like. and its not always in great condition even when recovering a simple word doc. The drive was formatted. How can the contents still remain in their original form? Sure you can see what used to exist on the drive, but for video, I am thinking this guys boned. You can send it to a data recovery company, but it will cost some coin, and there's no garauntee of the integrity of the video.

Formatting a drive basically tells the drive to rewrite the file that is the pointer on the drive. Files remain intact unless you do an extensive cleaning of the drive and tell it to go to each sector and delete. It all depends on how you reformat. But often the files are still there. Anyone can download the free version and see. A data recovery company usually uses the same software you can buy so do it yourslef.

Formatting a drive basically tells the drive to rewrite the file that is the pointer on the drive. Files remain intact unless you do an extensive cleaning of the drive and tell it to go to each sector and delete. It all depends on how you reformat. But often the files are still there. Anyone can download the free version and see. A data recovery company usually uses the same software you can buy so do it yourslef.

I will be very curious to see if the video can be recovered intact. Keep us posted, especially for myself who works with P2 footage frequently..also, just a quick note, if you have a 100GB drive filled with video, format it, now have 100GB of free space, where does the video go? Is it hidden until overwritten? Is that how the recovery is possible?

Edited by Mike Washlesky

• Premium Member
I will be very curious to see if the video can be recovered intact. Keep us posted, especially for myself who works with P2 footage frequently..also, just a quick note, if you have a 100GB drive filled with video, format it, now have 100GB of free space, where does the video go? Is it hidden until overwritten? Is that how the recovery is possible?

As Walter pointed out, formatting a drive the normal way only deletes the MFT (Master File Table). This section of the drive basically tells the system what is on the disk and where. Unless you have overwritten the disk with new data the old data is still there. Even after a format. I have successfully recovered OMFI files on a friend's disk formatted in error. That was a while ago so I don't recall the software I used. On it was a Windows disk, but that shouldn't really matter.

Cheers, Dave

As Walter pointed out, formatting a drive the normal way only deletes the MFT (Master File Table). This section of the drive basically tells the system what is on the disk and where. Unless you have overwritten the disk with new data the old data is still there. Even after a format. I have successfully recovered OMFI files on a friend's disk formatted in error. That was a while ago so I don't recall the software I used. On it was a Windows disk, but that shouldn't really matter.

Cheers, Dave

Right, so until something has been overwritten on the disc, it still remains in some form. Gotcha.