Artists/Painters to look at?

Hello people smarter than I am (so far),

Could anyone offer good suggestions of painters, classical or modern, whose work would be good to view/study/recreate. I've seen a good bit of Carravaggio and Vermeer. Any other good ones I should check on?

Thanks in advance.

-S.C.

• Premium Member

Do you want to mimic classical painters? There are lots of big heavy art books to browse. You should look through them. I do love the landscapes particularly.

I admire the looks many cinematographers have created while applying that "painterly" look to their work. But I often don't find it that interesting, to my taste anyway (Barry Lyndon excepted).

I would like to suggest you look at everything. Why limit yourself to figurative painting? Look at sculpture, nonfigurative/abstract painting and drawing, 3 dimensional work. Conceptual work from the 60's onward, sound, music, architecture.

Suck it all in. Use it all. Please, be an artist.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

• Premium Member

The work of the more realistic painters can seem more directly applicable to cinematography -- Hopper is a big influence, on myself included. Sargent too.

But the more abstract painters can still inspire in their use of color, shape, energy, etc.

I like the work of the Post Impressionists a lot. Take a look at the 1950's version of "Moulin Rouge", directed by John Huston and shot by Ozzie Morris in 3-strip Technicolor and then look at the Tolouse-Latrec paintings that inspired the look.

• Premium Member

I'm always on the look out for new (to me... not necessarily new as in contemporary) artists and photographers to get ideas from.

But sometimes you find yourself returning to the same well, like Hopper or Munch or Sargent or Vermeer, etc.

I've been collecting art books on color photos using outdated processes, particular Autochromes.