k3 - semi-automatic...

Jonas

Is the K3 difficult to load? - and what does 'semi-automatic' loading mean?

(the description of the K3 said 'semi-automatic')

Also, is it true that the pentax screw mount takes Zeiss lenses without any modification?

Thanks for your time!

Is the K3 difficult to load? - and what does 'semi-automatic' loading mean?

Also, is it true that the pentax screw mount takes Zeiss lenses without any modification?

Thanks for your time!

It's not difficult to load but almost impossible to do it in a darkroom or changing bag. The semi auto loading system refers to a series of pinch rollers and loop formers that force the film around the drive sprocket and through the gate. It really doesn't work that well and the loop formers will scratch your film. It's best to remove all those pieces from the camera.

The screw mount takes Zeiss lenses that have the M42 (Pentax) screw-mount. Not all Zeiss lenses are available in that mount. Most of them are older, I believe Eastern Block manufactured lenses. Some of it is actually OK glass. I should point out that these are lenses made for still cameras. Some are not suitable for use with the K-3 because they have a 'plunger' arangement that activates the diaphram. If you do not have a way to lock it down or switch the lens into manual mode, you cannot shoot at any aperture other than wide open.

Edited by J. Lamar King

The K-3 is semi auto. Some have modified it to full automatic which makes it an NFA camera and therefore illegal to own without a class III license. Don't buy into the pre-1981 auto sear myth either, it's considered "parts to make" an automatic camera and can land you 10 years into prison. The K-3 can also be modified to do a three shot burst like the M-16, check on the web.

The K-3, like the M-16, does have a tendency to jam so be sure you keep it clean. It doesn't accept bayonette mount, that would make it an assault camera and prevent it from being imported. The lens is sharp and accurate, you can print a nice 1 inch group at 100 yards handheld as long as you keep the barrel clean. I use Kodak ammunition, it seems to work best with it as it has that nice non-corrisive rem jet backing.

It's amazing how similar cameras and guns are :D

All serious now, I think you could probably apply some tape or something to keep the iris plunger in place when you use certain still camera lenses on the K-3.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

• Premium Member
The K-3 is semi auto. Some have modified it to full automatic which makes it an NFA camera and therefore illegal to own without a class III license. Don't buy into the pre-1981 auto sear myth either, it's considered "parts to make" an automatic camera and can land you 10 years into prison. The K-3 can also be modified to do a three shot burst like the M-16, check on the web.

The K-3, like the M-16, does have a tendency to jam so be sure you keep it clean. It doesn't accept bayonette mount, that would make it an assault camera and prevent it from being imported. The lens is sharp and accurate, you can print a nice 1 inch group at 100 yards handheld as long as you keep the barrel clean. I use Kodak ammunition, it seems to work best with it as it has that nice non-corrisive rem jet backing.

It's amazing how similar cameras and guns are  :D

B) :D :D :D

That was EXCELLENT!!!

LMFAO

It's amazing how similar cameras and guns are  :D

All serious now, I think you could probably apply some tape or something to keep the iris plunger in place when you use certain still camera lenses on the K-3.