one shot film 100mins

Dev Varma

Hi.. I am looking forward to shoot a feature on Red 2K camera. It is one shot 100 minutes film without any cut, to make it posible it need lots of hard work and rehersals, camera is moving 360 digree in a castle and its a day shoot interior and exterior.. also in the car. shooting in london. I am writing all this because moving camera from the interior to exterior is a major aperture pull, so has to shoot one overcast day.

My question is : 1. suggestions on second choice of camera than Red?

2. solving focus pulling problem?

3. what mm lens to use?

I am doing some rehersal now, it will be great help if I get some good points from cinematographers and Grips.

Are you shooting this hand held, or using a Steadicam?

Although, I'd assume hand held if you're getting inside a car with the camera. One thought is powering the camera for 100 minutes, the RED is pretty power hungry, so you may need a separate higher capacity battery battery rather than an on-board job.

If you're going 2k the SI Mini rig would appear to make much more sense than a RED for a 100 min shot. Less fashionable, but it's the camera used on the Oscar nominated film...

• Premium Member
Hi.. I am looking forward to shoot a feature on Red 2K camera. It is one shot 100 minutes film without any cut, to make it posible it need lots of hard work and rehersals, camera is moving 360 digree in a castle and its a day shoot interior and exterior.. also in the car. shooting in london. I am writing all this because moving camera from the interior to exterior is a major aperture pull, so has to shoot one overcast day.

My question is : 1. suggestions on second choice of camera than Red?

2. solving focus pulling problem?

3. what mm lens to use?

I am doing some rehersal now, it will be great help if I get some good points from cinematographers and Grips.

You should see if the RED is even capable of a single 100 minute clip. I didn't pay very close attention because it isn't something that comes up often, but I remember something about a clip limit (of 30 minutes?). Also, you'd be hard pressed to run the camera for 100 minutes on one battery. I think there are cradles that hold two batteries.

Realistically, for someone to be able to pull focus for a 100 minute steadicam shot (where, face it, marks are going to be vague and possibly nonexistant) and not make any mistakes, I think you're going to have to give them a pretty decent stop. A 4 would probably be a good compromise, IMO. Other than that, find the best focus puller you can and get them in on every rehearsal. Don't assume that they can just jump in last minute and nail it.

As far as lens, I think you need to go into the space and have a look around with a director's finder. Try walking out your shot with a lens and you'll narrow in pretty quickly on what you need. Since you'll have to stick to one prime, you need to see what is wide enough for the wide stuff but not so wide that moving in for closeups gives everyone a big nose. Unfortunately doing a one shot movie is a big compromise in a lot of ways. Without any of us knowing the space and knowing the shot you are planning, we can't really tell you the lens to use.

Just out of curiosity, is your film 100 minutes long so you can beat Sokurov's 'Russian Arc' record by one minute?

I don't remember what camera they used on that film, but I know they used a wide lens and kept it on Steadicam the whole time. The Making Of section on the DVD shows the camera, so it might be worth a rental if you want to see their setup.

Are you shooting this hand held, or using a Steadicam?

Although, I'd assume hand held if you're getting inside a car with the camera. One thought is powering the camera for 100 minutes, the RED is pretty power hungry, so you may need a separate higher capacity battery battery rather than an on-board job.

If you're going 2k the SI Mini rig would appear to make much more sense than a RED for a 100 min shot. Less fashionable, but it's the camera used on the Oscar nominated film...

Hi Brian..thanks for the answer...I am shooting hand held, its quite shaky when getting in the car...trying to smoothen it. I will try with steady cam now...ya you are right about the batery...I have shot quite a few music clip on Red....so little bit familiar with the camera...will see if I can find SI 2K.

You should see if the RED is even capable of a single 100 minute clip. I didn't pay very close attention because it isn't something that comes up often, but I remember something about a clip limit (of 30 minutes?). Also, you'd be hard pressed to run the camera for 100 minutes on one battery. I think there are cradles that hold two batteries.

Realistically, for someone to be able to pull focus for a 100 minute steadicam shot (where, face it, marks are going to be vague and possibly nonexistant) and not make any mistakes, I think you're going to have to give them a pretty decent stop. A 4 would probably be a good compromise, IMO. Other than that, find the best focus puller you can and get them in on every rehearsal. Don't assume that they can just jump in last minute and nail it.

As far as lens, I think you need to go into the space and have a look around with a director's finder. Try walking out your shot with a lens and you'll narrow in pretty quickly on what you need. Since you'll have to stick to one prime, you need to see what is wide enough for the wide stuff but not so wide that moving in for closeups gives everyone a big nose. Unfortunately doing a one shot movie is a big compromise in a lot of ways. Without any of us knowing the space and knowing the shot you are planning, we can't really tell you the lens to use.

Hi Chris...thanks for the answer..its a great help...I tried 50mm ultra prime, on 5.6 stop 1/3rd minus. but not happy with the depth, wants to shoot around 2.8

focus puller did a great job...he is with me on rehersals... battery and weather problem in rehersal...looking for good cloudy weather, and batery cradle.

its a huge compromise as I wanted to shoot in sun because its a colorfull film.

Just out of curiosity, is your film 100 minutes long so you can beat Sokurov's 'Russian Arc' record by one minute?

I don't remember what camera they used on that film, but I know they used a wide lens and kept it on Steadicam the whole time. The Making Of section on the DVD shows the camera, so it might be worth a rental if you want to see their setup.

thanks Mike, rehersal went for good 113 mins.. we are cutting some movement. one shot is requirement of the script, few area drags...otherwise all going good. will try again next month with more equipment...using some 360 dolly.

If you're planning to shoot a 100 minute hand held shot, you're going to have a very difficult time keeping it looking anything better than a tremble cam look! The Red is fairly heavy when loaded and for me, after only 2 or 3 minutes handheld it's time to put it down. Are you doing full rehearsals with the Red camera yet? You should try that a few times to make sure you can make it.. I seriously doubt anyone could. But maybe you're really strong. Good luck!

If you're planning to shoot a 100 minute hand held shot, you're going to have a very difficult time keeping it looking anything better than a tremble cam look! The Red is fairly heavy when loaded and for me, after only 2 or 3 minutes handheld it's time to put it down. Are you doing full rehearsals with the Red camera yet? You should try that a few times to make sure you can make it.. I seriously doubt anyone could. But maybe you're really strong. Good luck!

Hi Jase.. thanks for the support, Its quite heavy...but I already did a 120mins film on arri 435, but not one shot... I am trying with Red... I do take rest every 15 or 20mins... just a begginning....lets see how it goes....thanks...will keep update.

Hi Jase.. thanks for the support, Its quite heavy...but I already did a 120mins film on arri 435, but not one shot... I am trying with Red... I do take rest every 15 or 20mins... just a begginning....lets see how it goes....thanks...will keep update.

ET seem to make the best hand held rig for the RED. Although, I'm not too sure how well it would work getting in and out of a car.