ASC Open House

Jeff Locke

I am extremely suprised no one has started this before me...

So, I went to the Open House on the 14th, and had a blast. I met David Mullen, Larry Parker, Woody Omens, David Stump, the guy who does Burn Notice, the guy who does Flash Point, the really embarrased guy who is doing The Jonas Brothers tour :lol: , and many others.

I also met a couple of you guys from here on the forums. I think this was one of the best venues for networking and learning I have ever heard of.

So, what did you guys think? Who did you meet, talk to, annoy, etc.?

• Premium Member

Everyone naturally flocks around the ASC feature nominees, but personally, a student would learn an awful lot hanging around Bill Wages, ASC (who is shooting this season of "Burn Notice", on Super-16). The guy is the MacGyver of cinematographers. This is a guy who built his own lens for a dream sequence from a magnifier glass and a cardboard roll, with an aperture using a hole punched into a piece of blackwrap. This is a guy who makes his own balloon lights out of white plastic trashbags, lightbulbs, and helium.

He was describing to me how, for "Burn Notice", he had the art department hide some windowshade boxes at the top of each tall window in a warehouse (painted to blend in with the walls) so he could pull them down and have a white sheet in front of any window to bounce light off of, using HMI Source-4's with really narrow lenses rigged on the other side of the room.

Thank you David, I couldn't remember his name. He was quite impressive to me because as we were sitting at one of the tables, he could relate to my Theater background. We probably spent ten minutes talking about those Source 4's. He told me about some new ones coming out of New Zealand that use a mirror reflection system with a massive heat sink that allows the body to stay cool enough to not have to use gloves. Cyclon I believe they are called?

Anyway, I didn't recognize anybody by face, so sometimes I didn't know who I was talking to. :D

• Premium Member
........He told me about some new ones coming out of New Zealand that use a mirror reflection system with a massive heat sink that allows the body to stay cool enough to not have to use gloves. Cyclon I believe they are called?........

Selecon, not Cyclon. They're not brand new, I saw them at the Broadway Lighting Master Classes three years ago. Nice fixtures, if I didn't have a shop full of S4's I'd look at buying some.

Selecon Pacific 50 degree fixture

David,

Maybe you and Bill Wages should get together and write book on practical on-set Cinematography? You're a great teacher and he's the ultimate DIY'er...you two would make a great combination in print. I imagine a much more focused book than "Cinematograpy". My title for the book would be: "Hints and Kinks for the Practical Cinematographer" (Stolen from Ham Radio's "Hints and Kinks for the Radio Amateur" series.)

I am extremely suprised no one has started this before me...

So, I went to the Open House on the 14th, and had a blast. I met David Mullen, Larry Parker, Woody Omens, David Stump, the guy who does Burn Notice, the guy who does Flash Point, the really embarrased guy who is doing The Jonas Brothers tour :lol: , and many others.

I also met a couple of you guys from here on the forums. I think this was one of the best venues for networking and learning I have ever heard of.

So, what did you guys think? Who did you meet, talk to, annoy, etc.?

So, how do we learn about this sorts of events. I've been to the ASC website regularly and I hadn't seen it. Where do I read about these open house, I would love to attend one. Like David said, it's a great place for us starting out to learn and network.

So, how do we learn about this sorts of events. I've been to the ASC website regularly and I hadn't seen it. Where do I read about these open house, I would love to attend one. Like David said, it's a great place for us starting out to learn and network.

Hey Jose,

I learned about it on this website. It was at the top under "Latest News" but then I also went to the ASC website. All of their events and important dates are at the top along the lefthand side of the page under "News and Events". Hope that helps!

Any pictures of this momentous event?

You know, I don't recall many people taking pictures while I was there. I think I saw one person.

Jose, Angstrom Lighting is offering a class this Saturday. However, I registered a couple of weeks ago, so there might not be room at this point.