Reasons they have for not paying you

Oh yes: "The Fax machine truncated your invoice, so we didn't know who it was from!"

(I've had that excuse a surprising number of times...).

-I'm new here...what are you calling about? (3rd new girl, 10th time telling them the story)

-Oh THAT job....that was a really long time ago....We still haven't paid you?

Edited by Jamie Metzger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They need a reason to try and not pay you? :blink:

The number you have called 555-555-5555 is not in order. If you think you have reached this recording in error please heck your number and call again.

That and the producer is in jail.

" I am sorry I lost my house, my car, my wife has left me. I had to take my kids out of college. I am living in a rental house with some guy I don't know in a field with cows. I am declaring bankruptcy. I had a couple jobs come up but had to use someone else because I owe you so much money. I have been working on this great internet site though maybe I will be able to sell it, I have some meetings."

In the 80's it was not uncommon for a music video company to get so far behind on their bills that a large part of the budget for the video went to paying off the bills from the previous video. When it got so bad the company would fold and start a new company.

• 2 weeks later...
- I can't read the file. :rolleyes:

- I haven't been paid yet by the client. <_<

- Sorry, you will get payment tomorrow. :rolleyes:

- Sorry again, you will get paid beginning of next week. :angry:

- Sorry, our bank froze the deal (what the hell are you talking about??) :blink::angry:

- What?? Our client hasn't paid you? That's a surprise! I will work on things. :ph34r:

- Sorry, I will get things done this week ... :angry:

- Hey, I just sent you 50$ to check if the payment system works and to show my intention to get you paid :lol:

After 4 months the guy still owes me almost 4000$. At least he sponsored a couple of drinks :D

I just shot a TV show out of some footage from a convention. The guy had caused me money issues in the past. Shows up now that everything is great. He's went from the minivan to the bmw. He's throwing around money. Then I cut the show. I got paid 3 weeks later than planned for this footage befor. Now he hands me a $200 check to come to a meeting and see what he's doing. I go, turns out I'm shooting a commercial. Didn;t realize I had signed up for it but I decided to shoot. I'm addicted to what I do, this is one of my problems.

So I cut a 28 min show. I charge a below the line fee for services rendered and I drop off my files to the tv studio for showing. I go to the bank and the check bounces like a rubber ball.

I've been dealing with this guy for 4 weeks.

He's given me nothing but fake deadlines and also tried to get his lawyer involved. Her retainer has to be more than I'm owed. Its sick. So he's supposed to meet me tonight because in his stupidity he left his hard drive at my house with his other companies information on it. A ransom has been waged until I'm paid. But he's used every answer above.

I hope the union world is much more legit. Hope my story can set peoples mind right to the fact that these people are everywhere and a contract is worth the price of a shotgun. and much more legal.

Well, I am probably going to assist someone soon. And I have absolutely zero idea about money. It's going to be a tough time without pay. I don't know. I can't tell before I actually start working and get paid!

Edited by Salik Shah