Motor Options

Mendritzki Andreas

Hi

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this camera.

So my 1M is running great - with other people's motors.... Mine arrived in less than great condition. Both the motor, and the power supply actually. So I need to get a reliable system, and I'm wondering what my options are. I've done some looking, and some talking to people, but am currently a bit unsure as to what replacement options there are.

Crystal? 6.5V? 12V?

I don't need it to be crystal, but I think there's a newer motor that runs a bit more stably than the old system, and if you could use more compact modern power supplies, it would be a huge improvement.

Sorry if this has been addressed over and over again

thanks!

Andreas

• Premium Member
I've done some looking, and some talking to people, but am currently a bit unsure as to what replacement options there are.

Crystal? 6.5V? 12V?

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I know of a few options. First, you didn't mention what motor you actually have, as that may affect your choices depending on how much you want to spent and what features you think you may need.

I assume you have either the 15EPSS motor with the control box or the 17EP-16APK crystal controlled motor. You can do with the 15EPSS motor, Olex Kalynychenko can modify it to be reliable and crystal controlled, but the 17EP-16APK motor is best. It is more compact and you can run it on any standard 12v power supply. You can use it as-is, but the electronics are prone to failure, and the tolerance on the crystal speeds is a little wide. I have been using an unmodified one for over a year with no problems other than a blown fuse (a special Russian fuse).

The best choice is to have one of these three people modify a 17EP-16APK motor with modern electronics and highly accurate and adjustable speed control.

Bruce McNaughton at Aranda Film: http://www.arandafilm.com.au/

Olex Kalynychenko at: http://www.geocities.com/kinor35/konvas-2m/k-2m.htm

Anders Banke at: www.solidentertainment.se

Each one of these make modifications to the 17EP-16APK motors that make them thoroughly modern and reliable. They all run on std 12v power. They all also have excellent reputations for their modifications, so you can just pick the one you like best and know that you made a good choice.

You should check out www.Konvas.org if you haven't already. Great people and a lot of information you won't find anywhere else.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

I would also add that motors for the Konvas come up on ebay quite a bit so you may be able to find a bargain if you're careful about what you're buying. I did a quick search to see if one was available I saw one recently but alas, it was not there at the moment HOWEVER there was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mattebox-compendium-fo...1QQcmdZViewItem

an original Russian spherical lens mattebox for the Konvas 1M. They don't come up all that often. I bought one a while back. It makes life SOOOO much easier when you have the accessories that were designed for the camera you're using. TRUST ME on that one, AND so far it's going for less than I paid for mine.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
Yeah, its the 15EPSS motor that I have. And the 17EP-16APK system sounds like what I'm after.

Andreas

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, that's where I see them for sale most often. You can start with a standard one and upgrade to one of the modifications when you can afford it. Also, you might look for a complete camera with the 17EP-16APK. I have seen sp314 selling a new 1m with the 17EP-16APK for under $1k. I see the motors selling anywhere from $450 to $650.

I also have a couple of standard and Olex modified 17EP-16APK motors that I can rent, if you need one for a specific production.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

Thanks for the info guys

Yeah, its the 15EPSS motor that I have. And the 17EP-16APK system sounds like what I'm after.

So I guess I'm officially in the market for one, if anyone out there is selling!

thanks again

Andreas

Please check of old letters on forum about 15EPSS, 17EP-16 APK motors.

15 EPSS motor - DC electrical motor with analog system of speed stabilization, included motor module with DC motors and taxo and power unit module with electronics of speed control.

Original edition of 15 EPSS ask of high current 8.5v silver-zinc cell.

The power unit of 15EPSS motor can be upgrade for use of 6 v SLA battery with build-in auto charger and digital voltmeter of battery control.

17EP-16 APK , 19EP-16 APK - crystal sync speed motor with DC motor and electronics inside of main body.

Original edition ask of 12 v battery and have old style pulses electronics, base on russian digital chips.

18EP-16 APK motor of Konvas cameras have crystal sync speed control, to have motor module and power unit modules, to have 24/25 fps crystal sync speeds and variable speeds 8..32 fps.

18EP-16 APK motor ask of 12 v battery for 24/25 fps and variable speeds up to 25 fps.

The speeds 25..32 fps ask more high voltage, 16v.

18EP-16APk motor can be upgrade on modern crystal sync speed control, base on microporcessors.

5BD-16APK motor of Konvas camera, included of motor module and power unit module 2BU-16APK.

The original edition have 24/25 fps crystal sync speed and 8..32 fps variable speeds,

can be upgrade on modern crystal sync speed control, base on microporcessors.

If you will have more questions, can send me PM.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Olex, just to clarify - do you think that a 6 volt battery will run an unmodified 15EPSS at all? Or do you recommend this only after performing your modification?

I have one of the 15EPSS's and will probably need to upgrade it, but in the short term I just want it to run for a month or 2 while I practise my shooting skills :-)

I have now realised why this discussion is so important, after trying to find 8.2 volt batteries and finding they are very rare - the closest I could find mass-produced was a 7.2 volt sony cam battery (6.9ah):

http://www.altitec.no/product_info.php?products_id=715

is this an option at all?

Ebay sells clones of these (7.4v, 6600ma) with a charger for 50 dollars, which sounds reasonable, if only they work :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/12H-Battery-Charger-Fo...A1%7C240%3A1318

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Cheers,

Mike in Norway.

Edited by Michael Mann

Checking this guide:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLette...-with-Power.jsp

Panasonic cameras pulling 14wattsm and rated at 8V, use the following 7.2V, 7600mAh battery:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4653...on_Battery.html

Would this type of battery give tolerable performance for an unmodified Convas with a 15EPSS?

Is there a very great difference between the ratings for modern camera batteries versus the Convas?

Cheers,

Mike in Norway.

Hi,

I have now realised why this discussion is so important, after trying to find 8.2 volt batteries and finding they are very rare - the closest I could find mass-produced was a 7.2 volt sony cam battery (6.9ah):

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Cheers,

Mike in Norway.

Not stupid questions at all. Motors are the big issue with Konvai and it is becoming so that motors are quite a big issue with film cameras generally. Soviet electronics were a little scary tho. Whatever you do don't look in the box that's my advice. ;)

As for power, there was a fad at one point for tracking down power tools with 8 volt odd power. Rechargable Drills and stuff. Then there was a much shorter trend for what is called the portable power station. There were a couple of models that would do less than 12v. I think ppl might have been running the cameras off 9volt power from these and getting away with it but don't quote me there! Not sure what the latest thing is! :) However this may give you some ideas for stuff to look at! :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Hi

Battery talk .

I bought a 6 volt, 4 amp dry cell that fits easily in my 15eps control box. No problems running at 24fps and 32 fps. Easily shoot 1000 feet without recharging.

Roy

I wish told of my comments about use of 6 v battery and original power unit.

The matter is that, original power unit of 15EPSS motor have two power rate of voltage changer :

normal power ( speeds up to 24 fps ) and forced power( 24 red, 32 fps ).

The output voltage of original power unit with 6 v battery will less of necessary at 24 fps ( black ) position and will have small power reserve for good stabiliztaion of speed.

Any case,

I recommed to test and adjust of speed meter of camera with any crystal sync speed motor and after, to measuring of real speed of camera with 6v battery and 24 fps.

You can check of power reserve of motor very easy.

If you press of finger on handle of manual turn of axis of motor ( to increase profits of working load) and If, the value of speed on speed meter do not change, all OK and power unit have power reserve for good speed stabilization.