Canadian Shows Are Coming!

A sure sign of the apocalypse:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

"In their latest effort to cut costs, CBS and NBC are buying Canadian-produced television shows that are due to debut this summer, Bloomberg News reported today (Monday). The networks are paying about half what they normally would have to shell out for a series produced domestically, the wire service observed. The two shows are a police drama, The Bridge, and the paranormal drama, The Listener. The Canadian network CTV will air the shows at the same time they air in the U.S. the deal follows the success of last year's summer series Flashpoint, last summer's highest-rated new drama. Although the shows are not being produced by a U.S. company seeking to benefit from Canadian tax breaks and lower labor costs, "it's still runaway in the sense that it's not being done here," AFTRA spokesman Chris de Haan told Bloomberg."

Sorry but I find it some what amusing that AFTRA takes offense to this, considering that 97% of movies seen in Canada are American!!

R,

Sorry but I find it some what amusing that AFTRA takes offense to this, considering that 97% of movies seen in Canada are American!!

R,

WELL of course, EVERYBODY knows since the introduction of "reality" TV, the American television programing has been in the dumper but now can we help it if we make 97% better movies than you Canadians? :D (That'is not counting Indy, Si/Fi/Horror pictures starring models from American game shows of course) :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

I heard first hand from a theater manager that they are having trouble getting Hollywood products onto their screens. He said that they have screens sitting dormant with no product to put on them. Of course, they only want the highest grade Hollywood product and not my Indie-crap. Is Hollywood production falling below screen demand? If so, why isn't Canada, a country already ready to produce high quality product, not filling the demand?

I heard first hand from a theater manager that they are having trouble getting Hollywood products onto their screens. He said that they have screens sitting dormant with no product to put on them. Of course, they only want the highest grade Hollywood product and not my Indie-crap. Is Hollywood production falling below screen demand? If so, why isn't Canada, a country already ready to produce high quality product, not filling the demand?

I have 250 high quality Canadian movies here about Eskimos crossing the tundra, make that 251...ooops now 252....

Where shall I ship them?

R,

PS: Did I mention these are all in French?

• Premium Member
I have 250 high quality Canadian movies here about Eskimos crossing the tundra, make that 251...ooops now 252....

Where shall I ship them?

R,

PS: Did I mention these are all in French?

Are any of said Eskimos funny, witty, or good with explosives?

Can he make anything and everything out of ice? If he can't then I'm not interested.

Well now of course not, no one could....I mean come on let's be realist here, he's gonna need at least some whale blubber, seal hide, walrus tusk and caribou antler I'm waiting for the Eskimo Magnum PI where some Inuit guy grows a mustache, trades in his fur parka for a flowered shirt and glues a Ferrari emblem on a Huskie's ass then hooks it to a shiny red dog sled. Now THAT'S what I call good Canadian television!! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Well now of course not, no one could....I mean come on let's be realist here, he's gonna need at least some whale blubber, seal hide, walrus tusk and caribou antler I'm waiting for the Eskimo Magnum PI where some Inuit guy grows a mustache, trades in his fur parka for a flowered shirt and glues a Ferrari emblem on a Huskie's ass then hooks it to a shiny red dog sled. Now THAT'S what I call good Canadian television!! :D

Brilliant!! I am stealing the idea!!

Although it sounds way too commercial to get funding in Canada, I will have to shoot it in the USA.

Any suggestions on a US lead to play the Eskimo?

R,

Unfortunately, the Mighty Eskimo Quinn is no longer with us.

But Jack Black has a roundish face.

When will we gwt a Red Green feature?

Since the show runs on PBS here, is it considered too high brow and arty for a general audience?

When will we gwt a Red Green feature?

Since the show runs on PBS here, is it considered too high brow and arty for a general audience?

Red Green and "high brow and arty" in the same sentence? Run! The Apocalypse is nigh!

Brilliant!! I am stealing the idea!!

Although it sounds way too commercial to get funding in Canada, I will have to shoot it in the USA.

R,

Well, see if you make it in the USA apparently NOW, American TV won't play it because they're buying up all these damn Canadian programs. Hey I got an idea, maybe you could make it in the US and show it in Canada since all Canadian programming will be funneled here from now on. As for a US lead to play the Eskimo, how about Tom Selleck? BTW I get 20% if this is a success if it's a TOTAL failure, I still get 20%.

"In their latest effort to cut costs, CBS and NBC are buying Canadian-produced television shows that are due to debut this summer, Bloomberg News reported today (Monday).

I'm Canadian and this makes me shudder a bit reading it. Our government isn't very good at seeing the long term benefits. Long term benefits being some funding for the arts - namely film here. It would take time, but with funding people could gain some good credibility, and the all important dollar will follow. Instead, we would prefer to do it this way...

I'm Canadian and this makes me shudder a bit reading it. Our government isn't very good at seeing the long term benefits. Long term benefits being some funding for the arts - namely film here. It would take time, but with funding people could gain some good credibility, and the all important dollar will follow. Instead, we would prefer to do it this way...

Ah you do understand that this is a GOOD thing?

Canadian shows may finally be able to stand on their own two feet and have budgets close to what US shows have with the support of a US broadcaster.

TV isn't the real issue in Canada any way, at least there are Canadian TV shows on Canadian TV. The real issue is Canadian feature films on screens in English Canada. Currently only at about 3%.

R,

Canadian shows may finally be able to stand on their own two feet and have budgets close to what US shows have with the support of a US broadcaster.

R,

How in the Hell are US broadcasters gonna save money if Canadian shows cost nearly as much to make as US shows? What, are you guys having a white sale or something? "Get yer Canadian TV stars here, buy one get one free, Balloons for the kiddies and 25% off you first purchase!! Everything must go so come on down to Crazy Kanook's Bargain Broadcast Programming Emporium and Carwash!!! HURRY Close Out Sale-Buy US rights for 2 seasons of Da Vinci's Inquest and get 5 dollars of your next wash!!! Come on DOWN, before the US dollar goes UP!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Come on DOWN, before the US dollar goes UP!!! :rolleyes:

Don't even suggest that!!

R,

PS: They can be made much cheaper here due to the tax credit system in answer to your question :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

We also are controlled by Illuminati, that's why. It stinks worse here, we have fallen pre-tty low on the low brow scale. Even on Bravo Canada, the stuff shown is like a post-modern representation of hollow bourgeous sentiment (makes Conrad Black look good). I think I'll call it Shallow Vision.

We also are controlled by Illuminati, that's why. It stinks worse here, we have fallen pre-tty low on the low brow scale. Even on Bravo Canada, the stuff shown is like a post-modern representation of hollow bourgeous sentiment (makes Conrad Black look good). I think I'll call it Shallow Vision.

Even on A & E all they show some days are like a marathon of Gene Simmons Reality crap. It doesn't get lower than that. It's like all the junk programming that some asswipes can find is dumped on the airwaves, like toxic waste for the eyes. Like eight years ago, when all the reality shows and crime dramas started proliferating the channels, I was like, hey what about our children? Anyone? Just the other day, my next door neighbor Ben was outside with his two kids, Rose and (Tristan?) they were playing in their plastic go cars on the street and he's standing there, wearing a black neoprene jacket, black pants, black shoes, and to top it off, black pleiadian-style sunglasses. Woo hoo. I sure hope HE'S getting some enjoyment from the shite tv shows, or else Burbank, you're in some major #&^$#^

GOD

what happened to all the Jews in Hollywood?

Andromeda must've got blown up when Reagan took power

Edited by phil sokulski

Even on A & E all they show some days are like a marathon of Gene Simmons Reality crap. It doesn't get lower than that. It's like all the junk programming that some asswipes can find is dumped on the airwaves, like toxic waste for the eyes. Like eight years ago, when all the reality shows and crime dramas started proliferating the channels, I was like, hey what about our children? Anyone? Just the other day, my next door neighbor Ben was outside with his two kids, Rose and (Tristan?) they were playing in their plastic go cars on the street and he's standing there, wearing a black neoprene jacket, black pants, black shoes, and to top it off, black pleiadian-style sunglasses. Woo hoo. I sure hope HE'S getting some enjoyment from the shite tv shows, or else Burbank, you're in some major #&^$#^

GOD

what happened to all the Jews in Hollywood?

Andromeda must've got blown up when Reagan took power

p.s. eat more garlic