EYE TO EYE

Mungai Kiroga

Hey guys,

I have been in discussions with a musicians regarding a music video I'd like to produce and direct for him. We had agreed on a concept and were meant to start shooting this weekend. However, he called me last Saturday and suggested we postpone the shoot and change 'a few things'.

I had a meeting today and to my horror, he has changed the whole concept. The worst part is a completely dislike the new concept. Really!! It goes completely against what I had in mind. On top of that he has added some green-screen sequences that I feel will really go wrong since we do not have the budget to pull them off well. To be perfectly honest it will look really shady and bootleg but he is incessant.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? Truth be told, I could do with the business, but I will be honest, the outcome will not be the kind of thing one puts on their demo reel. Kindly advice.

Sounds like he is going to direct it and you are going to produce. If you are ok with that.." go on take the money and run". In the end, if it is his cash floating the project, there is very little you can do but 'help' the best you can. It sounds to me like you have made some very responsible considerations. Too bad he won't listen.

Be thankful you have some income. Enjoy the train wreck.

• Premium Member

Not every shoot you do will wind up on your reel. Sometimes you're forced into making compromises with what you want to do, changing the shot, the concept etc. You have to realize, that you are hired by someone, they're your client and it's important to do the best job you can based on what they want.

That being the case, for the green-screen, if you really can't do it on the budget you have, tell him why and that you'll need more money for that, suggest a change that keeps the same idea, or if all else fails, you do it the best you can.

Talk with the client, and be honest with them about your concerns, but also make it clear that you understand that you're hired by and for them.

I mean, Hell, I could show you some of the horrible things I've had to shoot because, well, things just go wrong sometimes, or people sometimes don't understand how difficult certain things actually are (e.g. green-screen on a computer screen with a moving camera....).

I've have music videos like that as well, which was shot with the best of intentions, however, in the end, such things as not OK $60 for a genny, not closing down the street, not wanting to rent a dolly etc all detract.

Do the best you can with what you've got.

Sounds like he is going to direct it and you are going to produce. If you are ok with that.." go on take the money and run".

I had not looked at it that way but you are absolutely right, David. He is directing and I am producing. Had a meeting with him today. Thankfully, he agreed to do away with the green-screen sequences although he wants to bring in ballet dancers. Will be one hell of a stretch considering the budget.

Do the best you can with what you've got.

Yup. Will do the best I can, take the money and vamoose. Should be some bit of fun though. Thanks.