follow focus

Not a fan of the Cinebags aircan holster. The string to tighten it is pointless, and could be a pain. Get the Lindcraft one: http://www.filmtools.com/karcanairand.html

I love focussing but it is very difficuilt to focus when the camera operater shoots handheld follow shots and makes unpredctible movement shots and I unable to follow the fast moving artists. Is there any solution to make it easy? I have to focus directly through lens barrel.

I love focussing but it is very difficuilt to focus when the camera operater shoots handheld follow shots and makes unpredctible movement shots and I unable to follow the fast moving artists. Is there any solution to make it easy? I have to focus directly through lens barrel.

If you have to touch the barrel directly, it's always going to be tough. The best way to make things easy is a follow focus and a whip. That's how I usually handle it.

• Premium Member

I'm afraid there's no good way to pull handheld off the barrel. If there's the budget, I always try to get a preston if I hear we're doing a lot of handheld. If it's just some here and there or the budget can't go there, a follow focus and a whip works fine. I've found out that a speed crank in the whip works the best for me.

I'm afraid there's no good way to pull handheld off the barrel. If there's the budget, I always try to get a preston if I hear we're doing a lot of handheld. If it's just some here and there or the budget can't go there, a follow focus and a whip works fine. I've found out that a speed crank in the whip works the best for me.

It is difficuilt to put follow focus now. Tell me about whip.

• Premium Member
It is difficuilt to put follow focus now. Tell me about whip.

A whip is useless without a follow focus. It's a flexible extension for the follow focus so you can operate it from a foot or 20" away.

• Premium Member
The best thing IMO is to practice the move with your operator, and tape out marks on the lens.

Your operator should be understanding of the need to focus...but this is no easy task for either of you.

Good Luck.

-Blake

Yeah, I guess if that's the only way open to you, practice will make it the best it can be.