Arri 2c and Cinetech speed controller

Kristian Schumacher

OK, so I got my Arri 2c and it looks really good. It has the high speed gate and motor and a PL-mount. I have run some dud film through and everything seems fine. But the speed control on the motor seems not to be the best. Some speed adjustment can be done, but not very much. When I change the input voltage, I can get different speeds...i.e. input 15v: variable speed 10-18 fps input 22v: variable 15-30 fps input 29v: variable 30-50 fps.

I also have a speed controller by Cinetech with crystal sync for a few speeds as well as variable speed and digital readout. The controller has a couple of different connectors (see photos)

What I would like to know is if there is anyway of connecting this controller to the wild high speed motor and get reliable speed control. Any input greatly apreciated :rolleyes:

Thanks, Kristian

post-23644-1237930268.jpg

post-23644-1237930285.jpg

• Premium Member
What I would like to know is if there is anyway of connecting this controller to the wild high speed motor

Bottom line, no. The controller is for Cinetech's motor, not just any motor. The Arri motor you have was designed about 30 years before anybody thought of using crystal oscillators to control camera speed.

-- J.S.

Thanks a bunch, John

Maybe you could give me some ideas for motor options that will give me sync upto 80 fps with this camera. I have seen some flat base motors, and will now keep my eyes open for a good deal on one of those <_<

Kristian

Bottom line, no. The controller is for Cinetech's motor, not just any motor. The Arri motor you have was designed about 30 years before anybody thought of using crystal oscillators to control camera speed.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Kristian,

If you are looking for a crystal sync motor that can run your IIC up to 80 fps, then I would recommend the Cinematography Electronics motor. They don't make them anymore, but you can find them on eBay and other places. It's a great motor, just make sure the rubber coupling is good. If it's not, CE will still service the motor and they can replace the coupling.

ArriIIC.jpg

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Tobin Cinema Systems had also built variable motors with a 24/25 fps crystal speed. The upper frame rates on every motor i've seen always require 24 V- and so does the Tobin. It is now discontinued as nobody builts anymore aftermarket products for the older Arris due to the "digital revolution". Besides the CE motor this was a good unit, too.

• Premium Member

The Tobin TXM-21Ab is by far the best of them. It's the one with the large motor standing up alongside the camera. Apparently the earlier ones didn't have enough torque to reliably drive a camera that was a bit stiff.