Follow Focus Kit for Ex1 AND HVR S270

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone know of any SIMPLE follow focus units that would work with an EX1 or an HVR270 (or preferably both), and will mount to a vinten pro10 tripod.

I've seen the red rock but its a bit heavy for our production. I need something that will definitely work, with no attatchments, be easy to dissemble and move around and will also work with the gear ring on Nikon lenses if possible.

Has anyone done this before? Know where to rent something like this in the UK? I've looked at loads of places but most of the units are too heavy, too expensive or will only mount on satchler legs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

Rob

• Premium Member

I use a Chorzeil follow focus, and Red-Rock removable focus rings, which clamp onto my Nikons when doing a setup like this. a 12" whip helps a lot too...Dunno exactly what you're shooting (you mention nikon so I assume lens adapter). any Follow Focus that'll fit onto your rods will be fine. Phone up rental houses in your area see what they have. They don't normally attach to a tripod...(the follow focus that is).

Instead they go

n8207009_38901865_5816061.jpg

On rods as in that bad photo of me with an EX1 painfully not well situated for hand held use (last minute director's choice). YOu can see the follow focus on the front of the camera.

haha nice photo man. very dashing.

Does the Chorzeil follow focus come with the plate and the bars as shown in your picture?

Yeah i am using an adapter with the Nikons, which adapter do you use and how is it configured with the EX1 (as far as i can tell so far the lens is not removable, so how do you manage stops and focus etc)?

What width are the bars you are using there? If they are 19mm bars they should work with an arri FF5 kit right? Obviously as long as the focus gear is adapted to fit Nikon.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

No, the bars etc should come with the lens adapter. On mine, i'm using the Letus extreme. They're 15mm bars, but my paritcular follow focus can do any sized bars. Can't speak for the Arri FF5, but should be able to mount on there somehow, assuming it can handle 15mm bars (most seem to have accessories which will adapt them). Nikons have no focus gears themselves, unless they're been fitted with them. If they are then you'd use the focus just "fine" (can be a pain on still lenses sometimes), else you'd need to attach gears to them, there are lots of kits for this, most rental houses/ private owners will have them.

As for the adapter itself. it works like this:

The adapter comes with a screw mount which screws onto the front of the camera, (77mm threaded in this case), then the adapter is docked to that and screwed into it with 3 allen screws to keep it from moving 'round. You zoom the camera into the ground glass so it fills the frame, normally zoom 77-78 on my letus set up. From there I use peaking to help me focus on the ground glass . once this is done you lock the camera so Zoom/Focus don't change! though you should check it throughout the day (call backfocus checking).

Then you mount the lens mount of your choice to the font of the adapter, again with allen screws. Mine has a PL or a Nikon mount, and you can change them out.

The camera is help onto the rods support to that it can mount with the adapter at the right level and so the adapter can be supported. This is CRITICAL or else it can snap the ront of your camera right off, fall to the ground, smash and make people cry.

I also like to mount a Remote zoom/start switch on my bars or tripod so I can run the camera w/o touching the body. Libec made mine and I think it was around $250 from Bhphoto here in the states. That's the small black blob with a red button.

Oh also, the pillow.. the camera can get awkward and front heavy, so I use the pillow as an arm rest (Buddha Bag).

• 3 months later...