Buying re-cans and factory sealed cans

OK, So I am shooting/directing a short in May. I purchased 3 rolls of 7212 last July and have been in the freezer since. Never got around to shooting them and a script came up that I wanted to do and use those rolls. Now after 1st'ing and loading a 35 job I want to shoot 35 as processing is the same and can get either camera(s16 or s35) for free. I want to sell my 3 rolls to a business that does this and and then buy 2 1000' re-canned rolls. Also, 7212 isn't the preferred stock I want to shoot this picture on, as the setting is a bright sunny day outdoors and then bright sunny day indoors. 5205 and 5217 would be ideal.

I have heard alot of horror stories and called a few of these places and first inquired about them purchasing my factory sealed stock and then called back later to inquire about their 35 stock. One company asked for the batch number on them and then quoted me a price and seemed pretty stringent on the quality of product he was accepting. All businesses said each re-can was tested and that they give it the same guarantee kodak gives it.

A few of the reasons I want to shoot 35 is I never have and want to, and that this short only needs 20 minutes of film to shoot it and it seems reasonable and cost effective to shoot 35 if I sell my old stock at a quoted $80 per roll, and then buy two 1000' re-cans at .17 cents per foot or $170, only costing me an additional $100 to shoot super 35.

Any advice or recommendations?

• Premium Member
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting on new 'Factory' rolls..

Of course David is right. But sometimes we just have to find alternatives to do what we really want. I have had very good luck with something as iffy as short ends, but I'm not shooting commercial projects, either.

If you do end up going with the re-cans, it is a simple matter to have snip tests done as a way to feel more assured that you're good to go.

Bruce Taylor