Ex-1 ISO Value

ernesto valverde

• Premium Member

I rate mine around 250.. but it'll change depending on a number of factors including your picture profile and gamma etc.

Set up a 18% grey card, light it, expose it to your liking on the XDCam, then meter it and adjust the ISO until you arrive at the approximately same F stop as you're using on the camera.

Art Adams at http://provideocoalition.com rated like this-

To measure sensitivity, I set the exposure of an 18% gray card at 50% on the waveform monitor with the camera in its default Standard Gamma 3. I metered the card with a Gossen Starlite and incident light with a Spectra Pro IV, and varied the ISO settings until the shutter speeds and apertures matched the camera (both meters agreed within 1/10 stop). I determined the sensitivity of the camera to be:

• ISO 400 in 1080p modes

• ISO 800 in 1080i modes (just as you’d expect: with dual-row summation, you get twice the sensitivity), and

• ISO 500 in 720p modes.

Apparently Sony is picking up some gain during downsampling to 720p, analogous to what happens in dual-row summation.

Seemed pretty spot on to me from my usage of the EX3.

Art Adams at http://provideocoalition.com rated like this-

Seemed pretty spot on to me from my usage of the EX3.

I just tested and got similar results, but I measured pretty consistently about 1/3 stop lower than Art Adams. The difference could be because my meter (Sekonic L398A) only measures to 1/3 stop, and I don't have a waveform monitor, and the EX1 only reports aperture to 1/2 stop.

The significant difference I got was in the 1080i modes. I only got an ISO reading of 400. My meter showed 64 footcandles incident reading, and the camera chose an aperture of f/3.4, which works out to 400. How does that compare with your readings? Any thoughts on why my readings for interlace modes is so far off?

Hi, does anyone knows wich is the ISO equivalent value on the PMW EX-1 Sony???

It depends on the gain setting, the ND filter and the input curve (CINE or STD). For example:

• Gain: -3dB
  • ND filter: off
  • Curve: CINE 1, 2
  • ISO = 400

These settings give me a good starting point.

It depends on the gain setting, the ND filter and the input curve (CINE or STD). For example:

• Gain: -3dB
  • ND filter: off
  • Curve: CINE 1, 2
  • ISO = 400

These settings give me a good starting point.

I'm shooting a horror pic on the EX1 and my figured settings for night scenes, lots of blue (mix of pools of cool and warm light, many blue gels not CTB / fog and fx lighting are as above like above with a couple of extra tweeks:

I use CINE 2

Gain -3db

ND filter Off

I rated the camera at ISO 400 (But shot it as if it was Eastman EXR500 and compensated in my light meter to show 400).

In 1080p, shutter 1/48 for a real dreamy film-like look and watched the tracking/panning speeds closely to avoid strobing as much as possible. The images are stunning.

For the first time I'm shooting HD like it IS film, not just shooting digital video in film production style! I really felt I was shooting film, so I pushed the camera and lit like I was shooting ISO 500 film.

Note: I used CTB, but mixed in 4 other types of blue to give the moon light shinning into windows, a textured look, depending upon location and effect desired. Some lights lit through 2 rooms and glass doors before reaching the talent. It looked amazing and blew away both the Director and Producer! (I'll look into getting a frame grab from the post guys. On this pic, I am very involved in the post-production and editing, which has been very educational).

I'm shooting EXT. Daylight scenes next week on the same pic.