just got the ex3-where do i go from here?

anthony sado

i am an aspiring film maker from nigeria.i am currently living in the uk but i have hopes of revolutionalising the nigerian film industry.i have no experience in film making,as a matter of fact i just purchased my sony pmw ex3 bout 2 months ago.i am on the verge of aquiring a letus35 elite.where do i go from there?

do i buy a professional lens or prime lenses?

if i am buying prime lenses,do i get the set?so i can get a variety of focal lengths.

to be honest i cant afford to do a course on film making so i could do with a lot of help and advice, thank you

Ignore buying more camera kit, go out and make a film. If you can't afford a course buy books instead and read them. If you want to buy more kit some lights would make more sense than a Letus.

You need to know why you want to make films or at least the stories you wish to tell. I'd suspect someone will have already bought an EX1 or EX3 in Nigeria, so one more camera isn't going revolutionize much, it's how you approach your subject matter that can be the revolution. But you actually need to be making films.

Ignore buying more camera kit, go out and make a film. If you can't afford a course buy books instead and read them. If you want to buy more kit some lights would make more sense than a Letus.

Brian is absolutely right. Buy or rent some lights and get out there and make a film. Film making is about telling stories and usually technology doesn't fundamentally change the way people tell stories, with very few exceptions. Perhaps incorporating how stories are told in Nigeria into film making would be more "revolutionary" than the technology used to tell said stories . . .

Brian is absolutely right. Buy or rent some lights and get out there and make a film. Film making is about telling stories and usually technology doesn't fundamentally change the way people tell stories, with very few exceptions. Perhaps incorporating how stories are told in Nigeria into film making would be more "revolutionary" than the technology used to tell said stories . . .

thanks alot guys,wat i really needed was a kick up the backside.i just wanted to make sure i have the right kit to start making films when i get there.beginning with the camcorder wat else would i need in order of importance?this will help me out a lot.like i said am a novice but i know i can do it.id appreciate it!

thanks alot guys,wat i really needed was a kick up the backside.i just wanted to make sure i have the right kit to start making films when i get there.beginning with the camcorder wat else would i need in order of importance?this will help me out a lot.like i said am a novice but i know i can do it.id appreciate it!

A good tripod

A good microphone or more if you've the money.

Lights - left until last because you could always shoot available light.

I'm assuming you've got an editing program.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Nigeria and can visualize two more items you would need. Buy additional 2 battaries and charging arrangement as frequent power cuts would make major set back; and adequet security equipment as you may loose your valuable equipment while shooting !!!! Better you buy lot of spare things as you may not get replacement in time once stuck. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Anthony,

You've gotten yourself a pocket rocket of a camera which driven well can produce amazing results...

Like Bryan said, most importantly, go out and tell stories is what counts. And showing them too!

Also, remember, making films is a family affair.. .it's a COLLABORATION... And being in London you'll find a lot of collaborators.

Learn your basics, go on film shoots as a trainee/runner and you'll get a feel for set procedures and etiquettes.

Be open minded and keen to learn.

Enjoy the ride and have Fun!

Anthony,

You've gotten yourself a pocket rocket of a camera which driven well can produce amazing results...

Like Bryan said, most importantly, go out and tell stories is what counts. And showing them too!

Also, remember, making films is a family affair.. .it's a COLLABORATION... And being in London you'll find a lot of collaborators.

Learn your basics, go on film shoots as a trainee/runner and you'll get a feel for set procedures and etiquettes.

Be open minded and keen to learn.

Enjoy the ride and have Fun!