In camera ramp with a telecine ramp?

grant mcphee

I'm looking to film a fairground ride. I want a shot to start with 'speed trails' as it spins around and then move into 'normal' motion within the same shot, without changing the appearance of speed.

I thought I would ramp from something like 6fps to 25 and ask the lab to do a telecine ramp to match it, in effect a telecine step print but with a ramp.

How achievable is this?

thanks

I'm looking to film a fairground ride. I want a shot to start with 'speed trails' as it spins around and then move into 'normal' motion within the same shot, without changing the appearance of speed.

I thought I would ramp from something like 6fps to 25 and ask the lab to do a telecine ramp to match it, in effect a telecine step print but with a ramp.

How achievable is this?

thanks

That sounds really tricky. You would need some way of marking the frame you start your ramp and the frame you finish your ramp and everything in between to be able to match that in post to the transfer machine. You would have to do camera and post research to see if is technically possible, but I have a feeling the answer is no. But try and make calls, you may be surprised at what you find out.

So maybe Kent's method could be easiest. You would get the motion blur in the slower frames from your exposed negative, but you may have to play and wing it in your post method.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

• Site Sponsor

In my experience with all sort of telecine I don't think you would be able to have the machine do a ramp maybe a speed change from one to the other on the fly but usually you have to stop the machine and setup for a different speed. Getting frames and doing a speed change in after effects would be better.

-Rob-