Shooting Tungsten in Daylight?

I just read in the article in March's American Cinematographer that Frank Griebe used Tungsten stocks only to shoot "The International".

They mention the use of HMI lights though and obviously have day exteriors as well, so why would he use Tungsten only? It's also mentioned that no filtration is used at all and that Tom Tykwer wanted to keep the look of the film almost like the dailies, and they didn't do too much in the DI.

Would he just use a set of printer lights which correct the blue tone out or how would one do that? What would be the reason to shoot Tungsten only?

Thanks for any hints, regards Xax

maybe I misread "used no special filtration" and they used a 85 filter outside?

what would be the logic behind that?

is tungsten film generally better? consistency in terms of contrast?

'18 would make sense since it becomes a iso 320 speed film then?

'12 would become iso 64, could use 50D as well...

• Premium Member

I often use 200T outside with an 85 making it a 125, kinda in the middle of those two; for when deep(er) stops are needed or when you get into cloud cover. Also I like it's grain structure when cutting in with 500T (more than I liked the older '05 stock, which I thought was a bit too fast). That's just me though.

Or, also, don't forget how much light you can loose through a pola filter, mine's roughly 2 stops. so pretty soon my 200T becomes effectively a 32!

It's not uncommon to use all tungsten film on a shoot. You can always use the tungsten film outdoors but you wouldn't normally use daylight film indoors. At the end of a shoot you pretty much want to shoot all your film and you don't necessarily want to have any left over. And you certainly don't want to go out and buy more film when you have a few cans of daylight sitting around. But if you are shooting all daylight exteriors, why not use daylight film. It's one less piece of glass in front of the camera, maybe.

And sometimes one might want to shoot tungsten stock in daylight without an 85, then correct the blue out. It renders skin-tones differently. For example, it takes a bit of the red out of Caucasian skin.

Something to test for yourself of course.