Essay on cinematography

i have to write a 2000 word essay on cinematography for my degree portfolio and i am a bit lost with it. I have free reign to write about whatever aspect i like, could be a specific DP or a certain style, as long as it demonstrates my understanding of the art form. It does have to be an academic essay, research based but also about my understanding. Im just looking for ideas at the moment. I need something i can get 2000 words out of without babbling.

Any ideas or any interesting articles or sources on absolutely anything to do with the art of cinematography will be much appreciated.

• Premium Member

The Digital Revolution and its Impact on the Craft and Art of Cinematography.

Finding a Place for a DP in an increasingly Technocentric World

The Advance of Art: Cinematography in the 20th Century.

Vietnam and the Art of Cinematography

The Use of Color

The Use of Lenses

The Use of Camera Motion

Case Study: History and work of a Cinematographer through their career

those are just a few top of my head ideas.

Some good ones, thanks! I originally thought about doing a case study but i think i would rather do something about the advancement of the art, possibly a merging of the first three of those suggestions. I don't want to have to force words out, id rather have more to say and compact it than try and squeeze enough out of one topic but i think the advancement of cinematography through digital technology, new techniques and changing audience preferences is probably an avenue i can happily take.

I need to work on the specifics to see if i can find enough credible sources to continue on any ideas. Thanks for the great suggestions

• Premium Member

American Cinematographer will be your best friend! As well as perhaps IMDB for rough ideas on what films were shot on what. Also, your college should have access to academic journal databases. If memory serves, there are a few archived in the JSTOR system and Academic Search Premier; but it's been awhile since I've accessed any of those. You're lucky, in a few ways, if you can get into the whole range of American Cinematographer issues as then you can directly quote DPs if a film you wish to speak of was covered. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I work in a library and I have access to Proquest, EBSCO Host, and Academic Search Premiere, along with many other databases so if you need an article just PM me the title and journal and I'll email it to you