What's shooting on Penelope in 2 perf

Chris Burke

I found out at least on production that is, first hand. I worked on The Fighter this week. It was a boxing scene, Mickey Ward's big upset win in Liverpool against Shane Neary. THe director and DP were going for realism throughout the shoot, so for the boxing match, they shot it Digibeta with seven cameras, just like HBO did in '95 for a documentary about Mickey Ward. Then, toward the end of the day, they shot some key moments on the Penelope in 2 perf. The poor AC who I asked, was very busy, but was happy to report that they were shooting 2 perf for the entire movie, except the boxing match. Cool to see the cameras in action, I thought they were two Xteras all loaded up with gear, but were indeed Penelopes in 2 perf mode. One of the camera ops said that they were lighter than the Digibeta cams they were hefting all day long.

There was a feature in Canada that used our Aaton Penelope as well. Can't go into too much detail, but Penelope is out there! I shot my feature on a Kinor in 2 perf. It's a great format and we figured to have saved 25% more than had we shot 3 perf and 170% (!!!) more than 4 perf anamorphic.

It's a great format and we figured to have saved 25% more than had we shot 3 perf and 170% (!!!) more than 4 perf anamorphic.

25% savings I can believe. 170% is impossible, unless pays YOU.

Wouldn't it be 50% savings, give or take a few percentage points for waste film?

Karl , he did say 170% saving over shooting 4 perf Anamorphic , so prehaps that includes the more expensive rental of the lenses ? John

That is correct. I didn't realize how much more Anamorphic would, because it's impact moved beyond camera department. Lighting, G & E were also affected, as well as crew. Again, this was specific to MY production, and that 170%, where the camera and lenses were already owned by me and not factored.