What kind of plug is this?

I just recently purchased a Mole Richardson 2k light, but have no idea what kind of plug it came with. I upped some pics for you guys to look at along with the light. Is there an adapter? Have you ever seen this? What do I need to do to fire this light up....thanks

0427091535c.jpg

0427091535a.jpg

• Premium Member

That's a either a 15 or 30 ampere 240 volt plug often seen on 240 volt window air conditioners. Have a browse through the electrical aisles at Lowe's and you'll probably find the matching receptacle (I avoid Home Depot, their quality is getting worse and worse). With that plug on the fixture it's reasonable to assume there's a 240 volt halogen bulb in it. The bulb can be changed for a 120 volt bulb drawing 16-2/3 amps and the plug swapped out for a 20 ampere turnlock or Bates plug. There are 20 ampere commercial versions of standard 15 amp Edison plugs and receptacles but 95% of the Edison receptacles you find installed are going to be rated at 15 amps.

• Premium Member
Looks like a NEMA 6-30P, 250v.

I think you're most likely to be right. 6-15P is the other possibility. If the big cable in the first photo is the one this connector is on, you're definitely right. In taking this kind of shot, it helps to include some size reference, such as a tape measure, film core, etc.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
is it possible to get an adapter to plug this into a wall or generator?

You'd do much better to get a big, high quality Edison plug from you hardware store. Take this one apart so you can confirm which wires are hot, neutral and ground. Put on the Edison, and keep this one in your box of oddball connectors and stuff. Some day you may find a place it'll plug into. If you throw it away, you're guaranteed to find a need for it within a week or two..... ;-)

-- J.S.