How to light a TV studio with a green screen for a backdrop??

Hi there, I am helping someone light a tv studio and need some advice on what kind of lights to get. They are going to be using a green cyc wall as their background and they want the lights to all hang from the ceiling. The budget is basically whatever gets the job done with the least amount of spending. The area to be covered is about 12-15 feet high and 15ft L by 15ft w. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Flouros or soft boxes. I could take some snaps here at ITN and post them. The trick with cycloramas and chroma keys is in avoiding the creation of hot spots - these can create problems when keying later. You'll need enough soft sources to fill the screen and then enough to key your talent separately. If possible try to place your screen at about 5 meters from the talent at any one time to avoid a green cast. 1/8 or 1/4 minus green on your key light should counteract the inevitable green spill.

Flouros or soft boxes. I could take some snaps here at ITN and post them. The trick with cycloramas and chroma keys is in avoiding the creation of hot spots - these can create problems when keying later. You'll need enough soft sources to fill the screen and then enough to key your talent separately. If possible try to place your screen at about 5 meters from the talent at any one time to avoid a green cast. 1/8 or 1/4 minus green on your key light should counteract the inevitable green spill.

Thanks a lot, I will try that!

http://www.eoslightingllc.com/videographer...1500/index.html

http://www.eoslightingllc.com/videographers/dayflo-max/

Hi, So does anyone have any experience with these lights? My boss suggested them for lighting the studio, but I have never used them before. I have more accurate measurements of the studio now: Length 22ft, Width 22, Height 12 1/2. The studio is NOT that professional of a studio like you would see on NBC, it's on the lower end. Any thoughts or suggestions would help.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

They look like Nesys lights or Desisti, No problem lighting with them but add some more diffusion. I suggest 251.

What excactly would be the background? Is there an exterior that you have to mimic the light source? Or just a CG Background?

If it is the second then use rim light (backlight your subject).

Be carefull not to have the subject near the screen cause like other comrades here are saying you will get a Green bounce from the wall to it.

You can crosslight the background if you want instead of putting fixtures look directly have them crossing each other (like a virtual X ).

The Green levels of your signal also should be the same or as near possible the Green colour bar.(from camera generator).

Dim