A possibly dumb question

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a nutshell:

1. Copyright is pretty clear. You need permission or you need to license the music in order to use it to promote your services. This is not "fair use," and is commercial in nature.

2. Mostly this has gone under the radar, and so the risk of using someone's copyrighted music isn't that great, based on precedent to date.

However...

It's bad form. You may annoy someone you don't want to annoy by your callous disregard of copyright (potential employers).

There are numerous bands out there who would eagerly grant permission to use their material. They are all over the internet.

Using tired old music, without permission, does not make me want to watch your reel. I'd much rather hear something newly discovered.

That's my take.

alright..I gotta ask....what type of NLE are you using?

I use Final Cut Studio 2.... and Soundtrack Pro that comes with it has at least a couple of hundred of royalty-free music loops that you can use, from folk to punk, and you can edit, and do what you want with them.

I use them all the time, and edit them down in Garageband. Awesome stuff!

I also shoot numerous live shows for bands and CD release gigs, so I also find it pretty easy to ask an indie band if I can use their songs in various projects. 95% of the time, if they're not signed, they are more than happy to oblige.....AND THERE"S A SHITLOAD OF VERY GOOD INDIE BANDS OUT THERE...all ya gottta do is a bit of research some listening. :)

Believe me...you'll find some incredible music that will blow you away...and it'll cost ya nothin'. B)

my 2 cents....

alright..I gotta ask....what type of NLE are you using?

I use Final Cut Studio 2.... and Soundtrack Pro that comes with it has at least a couple of hundred of royalty-free music loops that you can use, from folk to punk, and you can edit, and do what you want with them.

I use them all the time, and edit them down in Garageband. Awesome stuff!

I also shoot numerous live shows for bands and CD release gigs, so I also find it pretty easy to ask an indie band if I can use their songs in various projects. 95% of the time, if they're not signed, they are more than happy to oblige.....AND THERE"S A SHITLOAD OF VERY GOOD INDIE BANDS OUT THERE...all ya gottta do is a bit of research some listening. :)

Believe me...you'll find some incredible music that will blow you away...and it'll cost ya nothin'. B)

my 2 cents....

You're right, Vince, using local indie music can be a great solution; I've done the same on a few occasions. I use Vegas, which is why I was curious about Cinescore, since it's a Sony product that's designed to work with Vegas. They have a ton of different themes that you can tailor to your project, but I've never actually used it, so I wonder if it's what they advertise. Optimally, I'd be so rich and talented I could use my own music, but who has that much time or money? In the meantime, I guess I should go ahead and write that letter to Sigur Ros and see what they say...

You're right, Vince, using local indie music can be a great solution; I've done the same on a few occasions. I use Vegas, which is why I was curious about Cinescore, since it's a Sony product that's designed to work with Vegas. They have a ton of different themes that you can tailor to your project, but I've never actually used it, so I wonder if it's what they advertise. Optimally, I'd be so rich and talented I could use my own music, but who has that much time or money? In the meantime, I guess I should go ahead and write that letter to Sigur Ros and see what they say...

Ive never used Cinescore either...never heard of it actually....been quite happy since I invested in FC Studio2

About contacting that group for tunage....right on...here...try this

http://www.myspace.com/sigurros

if you're not already, join up, add them as a friend, talk to them, and they'll oblige...you'll see. Easy Peasy. B)

Edited by Vince Krochak

As an example of a couple of loops to work with in Garageband to create a soundtrack?

A promo I'm putting together for myself to attract more indie bands for live vids. I was just working on it when I read this thread...theres another 80 or so clips of other bands that will be edited to the beat..but music-wise you should get the idea...

-music created with Garageband

-footage is stuff I recently shot.

let me know what you think! :ph34r: