Bloody facebook

Phil Rhodes

I like going on FB after midnight to chat with other filmmakers. Usually I can have 5-8 chats going around 1am. That's when "business" or "BS" get's done.

I like it. I use it A lot. I think it can be better, and I also feel that the people running it need to respond to change and it's users desires quicker, otherwise it will become another myspace (read: desolate wasteland)

• Premium Member
From what I've seen it just makes people unhappy.

It's just silly.

How could something so trivial make someone unhappy? I mean, unhappy?

And, what's silly about it? You have the opportunity to reconnect with past friends (or possibly make amends with past foes) you would never have kept in touch without. This life only happens once and we all die really young, so why not enjoy the company of past friends (and possible foes) if you have the direct contact?

How could something so trivial make someone unhappy? I mean, unhappy?

I know what you mean but it does. When I was at university there were a lot of cliques and that kind of nonsense going on. I remember standing with a friend and pointing out another friend who was staring into a computer with the most miserable look on her face. "She's on facebook" I said without even having to think about it, and we went over to say hi and cheer her up and sure enough she was on facebook! It's just an extension of the normal nonsense that happens with this kind of thing. People don't get invited to parties and stuff and get shut out. I'm sure this girl was looking at all the other people having a great time. Friends at parties she hadn't been invited to that sort of thing and now through the power of facebook she could see all the people having a great time at these parties in all the photos that were being shared. In fact I'm sure there were photos of all these people having a fantastic time in all kinds of contexts.

I try and explain that these people were probably all sitting around at the party going " I feel bored, what shall we do? I know lets take photos" or something but it didn't much wash. People tend to believe stuff in photos or moving images is real for some reason. *shrug*

And, what's silly about it? You have the opportunity to reconnect with past friends (or possibly make amends with past foes) you would never have kept in touch without. This life only happens once and we all die really young, so why not enjoy the company of past friends (and possible foes) if you have the direct contact?

Yes I've definitely heard some more positive stories about people who have reconnected with old friends after many years and stuff and that must be wonderful for those people, so you do hear occasional positive stories. I meant more that the situation with people getting unhappy over facebook was silly. Not that facebook isn't somewhat sily in a way too but I guess it's more silly in the sense of a fun bit of sillyness. You can of course stay in touch with old friends through other technologies such as email but facebook is probably more fun or something..

The thing is about all this is that different technologies suit different people. We aren't al the same and some people may be more happy with facebook, others with myspace and others with twitter. One size doesn't really fit all. I'm not sure how much one is really better than another as they are all very different. For instance myspace is fantastic when you are thinking of going to a gig and want to check out what the band might sound like first. Facebook is better for people who might want to contact old friends and feel all nostalgic about the past and stuff. All good depending on what your thing is.

Facebook just doesn't really work for me tho. :)

love

Freya

Slight pattern going on here... the people slating facebook have never used facebook. Don't knock it before you've tried it.

No have tried it a couple of times, and it wasn't for me, at least so far.

Different people just like different things.

It's like music and stuff, peoples tastes vary.

Whats more there is quite a negative effect from stuff like facebook from people just dumping their address books into it, so even when you havn't used it you can still have people share data about you with facebook and feel a negative effect from it.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. It's like all these things for some people it's great, for others maybe not so much.

love

Freya