phasing plasma screens?

Geoff Haas

I need tp phase a plasma screen monitor with a 16mm Aaton package. I've not phased a plasma screen before and am not certain about technical requirements. I have a Media Logic frame rate controller. Can this be manually phased around 29.97? 180 shutter. Thanks for any assitance.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Depends on the plasma screen. Most of them flash the screen many times per frame - I've come across up to eight - and may internally re-rate whatever you feed it, so it'll be doing some integer multiple of whatever it claims it's doing, which may or may not be what you feed it or some multiple, scan-doubled or deinterlaced version of what you feed it.

Have fun!

Phil

Shows I work on shoot plasma screens as is, with no probs. Most shows switched to plasmas/lcd for set dressing for that very reason, no sync issues. Same with shooting lcd computer screens/laptops.

No?

Hi,

Depends on the plasma screen. Most of them flash the screen many times per frame - I've come across up to eight - and may internally re-rate whatever you feed it, so it'll be doing some integer multiple of whatever it claims it's doing, which may or may not be what you feed it or some multiple, scan-doubled or deinterlaced version of what you feed it.

Have fun!

Phil

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have seen LCDs faintly pulse or shimmer with similar characteristics to plasma screens. Syncing plasmas is not necessarily going to be the same as syncing CRTs because they often resync stuff internally to some rate over which you have no control.

I watched "Battle Royale 2" yesterday, which had some shimmering plasmas. It's not massively objectionable.

Phil