Aaton Internal Light Meters

Jeremy Russell

On a film for a class this summer I was reading about a 2.4 off of a meter measuring footcandles, however, my a-minima internal meter was reading a 1.9 or a 1.4. Exposed at 2.4, it was perfect. Apparently, the meter reads the light coming off of the film. For those more experienced than I, should you trust these internal light meters?

Jeremy

Were you taking an incident or reflected reading with your handheld meter? The A-Minima meter is an incident meter, so if you were taking an incident reading with the handheld something would be off. If you were taking a reflected reading with the separate meter that would explain the discrepancy. By the way you can emulate an incident reading with a reflected meter by taking a reading off of the back of your hand and using it as a portable "gray card."

On a film for a class this summer I was reading about a 2.4 off of a meter measuring footcandles, however, my a-minima internal meter was reading a 1.9 or a 1.4. Exposed at 2.4, it was perfect. Apparently, the meter reads the light coming off of the film. For those more experienced than I, should you trust these internal light meters?

Jeremy

The A-Minima exposure meter is really to be considered an 'external meter' even if it is build-in. It does not read through the lens but is a standard incident light meter. So if you keep the camera on the tripod if will just read the light falling on your right shoulder. If used hand-held the camera needs to be held with the plastic dome on the right hand side of the camera at the subjects position facing the camera position.