book on Gordon Willis when?

kevin baggott

I heard the chief editor from ASC was writing a book on Mr. Willis. Does anybody have any information on this? Thanks.

I've been studying his work again and for me there is no one in all of film history that I envy more then Mr. Willis. I've read the few interviews on line that I can find and the interviews in the few books. If anybody knows where I can find additional interviews I would really appreciate it.

I was looking at Broadway Danny Rose earlier tonight and frankly nothing comes near it for my money. You can keep films such as Seven, Delicatessen, Babel, etc.......

Forgive me for putting down the above films - as we all know it's damn hard to make a film. But Jesus I really miss the kind of work Willis did. That elegant simplicity. I feel so raped by most of the films I see these days. Just bludgeoned by the camera.

Sorry to have gotten off point.

Guest Stephen Murphy
I heard the chief editor from ASC was writing a book on Mr. Willis. Does anybody have any information on this? Thanks.

I was told recently that its been delayed untill next year.

S

Thanks for the update Stephen.

By the way I would love to hear from any Cinematographers why they like Willis's work. I find it a lot of times talking about photography for it to be ineffable. Thanks.

Yes I just found out from the author that it will definitely be another year - possibly two. :( But I'm thrilled to the soul it's being undertaken to begin with.

Yes I just found out from the author that it will definitely be another year - possibly two. :( But I'm thrilled to the soul it's being undertaken to begin with.

He said to me, "It's basically Gordon's film-by-film analysis of his most significant films from his own, singular perspective."

Anyway - he's a very busy guy with his day job. Possibly 'two years' I know I can wait standing on my head!

Gordon Willis had somewhat of a temper. I was talking to a guy that assisted for him on a few films. He said he was down in a ditch when Willis came over with a set of baby legs and screamed, "I SAID BABY LEGS!" Then he threw the baby legs at the assistant point first. He jumped out of the way and it barely missed him.

Gordon Willis had somewhat of a temper. I was talking to a guy that assisted for him on a few films. He said he was down in a ditch when Willis came over with a set of baby legs and screamed, "I SAID BABY LEGS!" Then he threw the baby legs at the assistant point first. He jumped out of the way and it barely missed him.

Yeah woody said once that Willis would come to the set in the morning so angry he couldn't talk. Woody said he never got angry at him though. Yeah there's the person and then there's the work.... I can sit here at home and project his films and just marvel and don't have to worry that Willis will charge into my apt and throw a film can at me - lol.

But no doubt about it angry folks are a real problem having grown up with a couple of them.

Yeah woody said once that Willis would come to the set in the morning so angry he couldn't talk. Woody said he never got angry at him though. Yeah there's the person and then there's the work.... I can sit here at home and project his films and just marvel and don't have to worry that Willis will charge into my apt and throw a film can at me - lol.

But no doubt about it angry folks are a real problem having grown up with a couple of them.

By the way - when I was younger I snuck onto a lot of shoots here in the city. I snuck onto 2 woody films saying I was gordy's nephew - lol - I knew nobody was going to go bother him and confirm whether I was or not! lol - But I never saw him yell at anybody. HIs sets ran like clock work from what I witnessed and as you can imagine.