Film purchase

I've been thinking about his for a while now. I probably won't shoot again for two months or so and when I do it will be using 7231 plusX black and white neg.

My question is, is it better getting fresh film a week before shooting (from Kodak) or for convenience sake getting it now and freezing it for two months?

Thanks,

Tom

• Premium Member

I'd always say fresher is better but I also don't think a 2 month deep freeze would be that detrimental to the film. I just like getting it fresh as possible, personally, though even then, chances are it's been "stored" @ Kodak for awhile...

I shot a test with a roll of 5218 that I had in my fridge for 18months. All was fine and dandy.

However I've heard some terrible stories too....

I'd say fresh all the way.

Is there a reason why you'd purchase it so far in advance?

Thanks gentleman.

"Is there a reason why you'd purchase it so far in advance?"

A few factors; I feel better having stock close by, if something develops that I would like to document.

I'm also finishing some shots for a little film I'm doing and I "might" need another 400ft. roll. which is the result of loose planning, ideas in progress, and not getting enough film for what I'm shooting. Not surprising being that I don't have years of experience. It's turning out to be a tough call for me as I usually get a few extra shots that "might" work, but I'd rather shoot them and have them as an option later. In short, I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Tom

• Premium Member

In that case, might as well order a batch and store it for future. It should be totally fine for such a short period of time. B/W stocks are slower and as such less prone to fogging. Just make sure you defrost it before shooting it.