Opening/Repairing a ARRI 16S const. speed motor

Marc Roessler

Hi guys,

I have a defective constant Arri 16S constant speed motor here. It draws some current (though much less than when running) but doesn't provide any torque. Turns smoothly by hand.

I'd like to take a peek inside. But how to open it up? What parts need to go first? Even after

unscrewing everything this seems quite hard to open. Do I need to pull off some parts off the

axis? Which ones? Is it possible at all to open this?

Sending this to a repair shop doesn't really seem worthwile, I'd rather dump it... but why not take a shot at fixing it first...

Greetings,

Marc

Hi Mark,

I would not do open it up. I did that and I have a useless pile of parts. There is a special way to take apart and re-assemble the motor that should be only attempted by German engineers in lab-coats. :) I learned the hard way... Keep an eye on ebay, cheap motors come up from time to time. Have a great day!

-pete

Hi Pete,

I live in Germany and I do have a lab coat floating around somewhere.. does that qualify? ;)

Anything you can tell me about how this puppy is kept together, since you've already opened it up some time?

If I don't succeed in opening it then it's trash anyway... so not much lost.

Thanks & Greetings,

Marc

Hi Mark,

I would not do open it up. I did that and I have a useless pile of parts. There is a special way to take apart and re-assemble the motor that should be only attempted by German engineers in lab-coats. :) I learned the hard way... Keep an eye on ebay, cheap motors come up from time to time. Have a great day!

-pete