NEED SOME NEW LENSES

Guest Aaron Slade

Guest Aaron Slade

i have a Panasonic Dv Camera, with a Vivitar 0.42x Ultra Wide Angle Lens, a Marucon 2.0x telephoto lens and a Fujinon Close Up Lens.

The problem is I dont get the shots I want from these lenses. I know its not much compared to most peoples set up, but i am on a very tight budget.

I am after a wide angle lens that gives me the wide shots i love, but also the depth of field (my point of reference are some of those beautiful shots in The Good The Bad The Ugly). I realise for a DV home camera and on a budget ill never get anything looking that, but thats the look im after.

If anyone knows of any lenses that will do the trick please let me know. My camera is a 43mm, so it has to be bigger than that. Its hard as most of the shops in my local area will only stock 37mm lenses.

The other thing i need is what is a cheap way to create a steadycam?

I am doing a lot of shots walking, flollowing the actor, and I need to stop as much movement as a i can. At the moment my solution is to mount it on a tripod, and hold the tripod legs as this extra weight stops me wobbling it as much as i would if i was just carrying the camera.

Any solutions anyone?

Guest Aaron Slade
Asking for the look of The Good the Bad and the Ugly, with a home DV camera is just stupid, and insulting to Delli Colli , I might add. 

Do a search, there was a thread recently about what stock and lenses Sergio Leone used.

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!

Read my question properly before you call me stupid!

I said i know I will never get it looking like that. I am not that naive. I dont even want to know what lenses/stock Leone used, i never asked that! My question was if there are any wide angle lenses for home DV cameras that offer more depth of field than the one I am after, and I used The Good The Bad The Ugly as an example.

So next time you feel all high and mighty and want to call some stupid and give them advice that they never asked for, maybe read the question properly first!

I am after a wide angle lens that gives me the wide shots i love, but also the depth of field (my point of reference are some of those beautiful shots in The Good The Bad The Ugly). I realise for a DV home camera and on a budget ill never get anything looking that, but thats the look im after.

If anyone knows of any lenses that will do the trick please let me know.

You're saying that's the look you're after, not just "I want a lens with more depth of field."

Edited by DavidSloan

• Premium Member

Use the lens that comes on your DV camera with a wide-angle attachment for a wide-angle look because it will be hard to find 35mm still camera lenses with a short-enough focal length, if you're trying to fit those onto a DV camera (I'm not clear as to what lenses you are talking about). You'll get plenty of deep focus in DV -- it's the one thing that is EASY to get with a camera with small CCD's. It's shallow-focus that is hard to get.

What DV camera are you using and what's the focal-length range of the zoom that comes on it?

Guest Aaron Slade

Im only having the problem when i use my ultra wide angle lens. Virtually everything more than 10 meters away is out of focus, although what is in the 10 meters near the camera does look pretty cool. I want the same wide shot but without the background going out of focus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Im only having the problem when i use my ultra wide angle lens. Virtually everything more than 10 meters away is out of focus, although what is in the 10 meters near the camera does look pretty cool. I want the same wide shot but without the background going out of focus

What kind of a wide angle lens adapter are you using? I have the same problem when I use a non focusable Century Fisheye adapter on my BetaSP camcorder. The only way to focus it is by using the macro function of the regular lens. It doesn't give you the DOF you expect from a WA lens. My zoom thru WA adapter works fine.

Did you try changing the focus distance of your regular lens when you had the WA attachment on? :(