Never Die Alone

andrewbuchanan

I just wanted to give a quick shout out to an (cinematographically-speaking) enjoyable film I saw this week. It was the DMX/David Arquette(?) movie Never Die Alone based on the Donald Goines book by the same name and directed by Ernest Dickerson was shot by Matthew Labatique (hope I got that right). Though the story was a little thin, and lets face it, anything with David Arquette in the top billing isn?t gonna be an Oscar winner. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the look and feel of the film. Perhaps best of all, it was shot on Super-16.

This was an excellent application of the particular medium as Mr. Labatique?s work created a world of paradox - both gritty and beautiful, intensely colorful but decayed, professional but not overly polished. Also, the movie takes place in a modern time but the cinematography and art direction combined well to create very retro feeling. I was reminded of some of my favorite 70?s stuff like Bill Butler?s work on The Conversation but with a completely modern spin.

Unfortunately, I didn?t get to see this movie in the theater, but I really wish I had, because there were only a couple of shots where I even noticed it was Super 16 (mostly grain in highlights from over exposure). I would have loved to see Never Die Alone projected. It looked great on DVD, but honestly what doesn?t look good on 32 inch screen?

I think I also enjoyed the cinematography but it was great display of aesthetic matching content. I see a lot of people thinking that cinematography is a process of trying to record the sharpest image with the finest grain possible for the budget. They seem to equate polish with creativity. I think this movie makes an excellent case for the ?art? involved. In this scenario, I?ll bet the medium was cosen to speak to the story and create a special feel and look just for this film. I feel reasonably certain that Dickerson could have used 35mm if he wanted to.

(Just as a side note- anyone who thinks that prosumer video camera footage stacks up to well shot Super-16 should take a look at this movie.)

I?ve really enjoyed Mr.Labatique?s work on a few movies now. I must admit, I like his work a lot better on the smaller projects like Never Die Alone or Tigerland than some of the big studio flicks (which I rarely go see). I look forward to seeing more of his work in the future. Lets hope he keeps shooting some Super 16 and Indy projects.

Oh yeah, if you get a chance, check out Never Die Alone ? it?s not a bad movie (certainly not boring) and it?s the sweetest thing I?ve seen in Super 16 in a long while.

I also really enjoy the image in "Never Die Alone"

My artsy film maker friends always make fun of me liking such movies.. but what they do not understand is i am not seeking intellect in the script (in such movies), i am seeking entertainment and intellect in film making..

one of the best exmple: Lost Souls

not the best script, but one one of the best photographed motion picture ever in the human history.