12-bit Linear RAW == 10-bit Log DPX?

Peter Moretti

• Premium Member
By the way, once you've finally decided to add your own picture to your avatar, why don't you join us at reduser.net where I have mine?

E.

LOL.

They say Satan's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world He doesn't exist :lol:

• Premium Member
Jim, both Keith and Phil have been talking non-specifically about both CCD and CMOS sensors. Neither of them have said that the engineering difficulties they are describing are specific to the Red One. Phil has gone so far as to admit that Graeme Nattress would be able to explain the issues better than he can.

So, given that neither of them are criticizing your product, if you are going to disparage their explanations, you should at least offer your own.

As owner of a major camera manufacturer, this sniping is a little below you, I would think.

Seconded. As a mere user,I would like to understand more about the technologies involved in digital capture,and this hijacking of what was a promising thread into childish snipping is really quite boring.

I would certainly welcome it if Graeme Nattress would add his voice to this discussion.

I would also suggest that Mr Jannard and Mr Walters try and show a little more self restraint.

Thank you.

Tom

• Premium Member
Hi Scott,

The big excitement today is elsewhere, strangely no report at Reduser.

Stephen

What, you mean this?

That's the most exciting thing I can find today. Don't know if I need to get out my my Tena pads to cope with that one.

• Premium Member

Or do you mean Jim Jannard's 60th birthday?

That's on Reduser.

But OK, we'll lay off the jokes until the celebrations are over :-)

Happy Birthday Jim.

Remember, after 60 years the Earth has orbited the sun 60 times, a journey of over 35 billion miles, but you never really get anywhere:-)

Damn! That reminds me; it was the Queen's Birthday holiday here yesterday, and I forgot to send her a card. AGAIN!!!

Or do you mean Jim Jannard's 60th birthday?

That's on Reduser.

But OK, we'll lay off the jokes until the celebrations are over :-)

Happy Birthday Jim.

Remember, after 60 years the Earth has orbited the sun 60 times, a journey of over 35 billion miles, but you never really get anywhere:-)

Damn! That reminds me; it was the Queen's Birthday holiday here yesterday, and I forgot to send her a card. AGAIN!!!

You can try to open a thread here instead. With luck, she will still read today.

• Premium Member
You can try to open a thread here instead. With luck, she will still read today.

Actually, her birthday is in April.

Until 1936 the Queens/Kings birthday holiday used to be on the actual birthday, now it's always the second Monday in June.

Just another old Music Hall gag, nothing to see here; keep moving. :-)

• Premium Member
I think Stephen is referring this:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/prod...tal-25-of-2009/

As matter of fact, they're news of two days ago. Only reported today at reduser.

No,

Apparantly Jim is not happy with the thoughts of an ASC member on the Red Camera. Jim used his quotes in the past so it's rather strange. You need to be a member of CML 2k to read more.

• Premium Member
No,

Apparantly Jim is not happy with the thoughts of an ASC member on the Red Camera. Jim used his quotes in the past so it's rather strange. You need to be a member of CML 2k to read more.

F*ck me sideways...

And people reckon we're abusive on THIS forum! :lol:

But Jim did apologize later:

Did you ever wake up in the morning, read something you posted the night before and say "hmmmmm". Maybe I could have said that better?

I apologize for naming David Stump. It wasn't necessary. I was frustrated, and still am, at the inference that RED is not ready for prime time to a large group of ASC members... which lead to the defensive post of prime time projects.

Dale is right... frustration accumulates over time.

David Mullen is also right (as usual). Not the intended reaction that is productive.

To recap, I'm passionately frustrated, defensive and protective of our "child". Probably is time to let her stand on her own merits and have dad stop yelling at the referees.

Keep moving... nothing to see here.

Jim

Jim Jannard

www.red.com

WA, NV and CA

By the way, can anybody tell me why some of the posts on CML (such as Jim Jannard's) come out about 30 feet wide and one line long?

Obviously there are no linefeed characters being generated, but most people's posts do have them. Is there some way to correct this, other than pasting it into notepad?

I'd ask over there, but I can't make head nor tail of that forum system.

"Mechanically" this is by far the best cinematography-related forum :rolleyes:

No,

Is this a 'big excitement' today or whenever?

Don't think so.

With the due respect for anyone else, the (greatest) most part of shooters don't need to know the opinion of this or that one in any way other than as another one to add to the pile (positive or negative parts).

Moreover, I can figure out that Jim J. is too much committed to comply some milestones. To him, it is the same as Ferrari was to Enzo. I never drove such car, I don't need nor have any interest in such program. To me and a lot of indies out there, as far as possible from the mainstream agenda, the better. *

In the real world, among the RED clientele, it is a common place to admit that Scarlet is what Epic will never be (a way more important than the latter). For each Epic sold, RED will make thousands of Scarlet sales. The usual loyal RED basis. This is what counts in the end.

Do not forget the content is king. Give us the minimal tools for getting it. Got the standard, that's such an achievement, should be the only goal. Not counterproductive and fallacious massages (from outside) to any ego, please.

* It is what we customers can best wish to this project (the centre of any revolution?)

For each Epic sold, RED will make thousands of Scarlet sales. The usual loyal RED basis. This is what counts in the end.

Maybe hundreds but even dozens is enough. The idea is there anyway. This is what this revolution means. It is not the high tech to make history but a change of the actual structures. Any historian can confirm it.

Maybe hundreds but even dozens is enough. The idea is there anyway. This is what this revolution means. It is not the high tech to make history but a change of the actual structures. Any historian can confirm it.

How on earth did this thread end up here? Who are you even talking to? Why am I one of like 3 people who actually addressed the question that was asked? Aren't there countless other threads that you can fill with this crap?

• Premium Member
How on earth did this thread end up here? Who are you even talking to? Why am I one of like 3 people who actually addressed the question that was asked? Aren't there countless other threads that you can fill with this crap?

Or to quote (approximately) Geoff Boyle in the same CML thread mentioned by Stephen

(Obscenities not removed in original:-)

Am I totally **(obscenity removed)**ing fed up with sh!t threads like this that contribute

absolutely **(obscenity removed)** all to our world?

Oh you can bet on that........

Obscenities apart (after all, why are they necessary beyond their frivolity?), the opinions are like the holes, everyone has more than one (I didn't write just one :-). I can even try to understand your reasons seeing mine above-posted as much more marketing crap than everything else. But let's speak with facts. I am just who is paying my bills as RED customer. Nothing else. I am not a markeeter nor RED employee. What I've seen is that there's too much attention from the part of this company in certain goals. Not mine -- and here I can speak on behalf of a lot of other RED customers. I am in touch with them every day. And I'm not referring the reduser.net fanboys for sure. ;)

What is important to this people is not the technical hype that the usual geeks or others like to make notice or pursue. OK, maybe we are more under the POV of a producer, director or many other crafts beyond the cinematographers. Cinematography is just one among them. To each is own. Every cinematographers that I know are paid by the producer(s) with the money that some other anonymous people at the office are signing below. Do not underestimate this. Light production tools is what the majority of the market is looking for, not the 'Ferraris'.

My humble two cents.