Film Salaries in Los Angeles vs. NYC

I was just looking at some numbers and from what I've gathered salaries earned by workers in the film industry (editors/cinematographers specifically) in NYC are on average 10% higher than those in Los Angeles.

Why is this?

The main reason this has thrown me for a loop is because here I thought Los Angeles was practically the film capital of the country yet in NYC people are making higher salaries doing the same jobs. Of course, I knew that NYC was basically the rival film capital but still.

Is this due to living expenses, etc? I was pretty sure LA wasn't exactly cheap either.

• Premium Member

I can't speak for LA, but compared to Philadelphia NY is substantially more expensive. Last I checked, something like 60% MORE expensive between Phil and NY. And a quick comparison on a random google Cost of Living Calculator:

http://www.bestplaces.net/COL/Default.aspx...;city2=53651000

salary of $50,000 in Los Angeles, California should increase to $52,840 in New York, New York

New York is 6% more expensive than Los Angeles.

Health is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Health is 52% more expensive in New York.

or

A salary of $50,000 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania should increase to $89,107 in New York, New York

New York is 78% more expensive than Philadelphia.

Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is 263% more expensive in New York.

for what it's worth and all. but I'd say that's a major reason of salary difference.

Also the number of people in the field, I'm guessing, for both cast and crew is probably higher in LA than NY, so by the basic rules of supply and demand someone in New York would make more than the same person in LA.

Though this would apply more for non-union jobs...