camera inside of a cessna, awaiting 4-5G

Conrad Lobst

Hello,

Im preparing a special shoot with a S-16 camera, either 416 or Sr3 inside of a cessna two seater, which should fly some aerial stunts around 4-5 G.

My concern is not the rigging, this is the grips tasks, but Im not sure if the film exposing will work well at this rough circumstances.

Could the pressure plate loss contact, and the frames will get shaky or soft or any other situations like this?

Is there someone with experiences in this case, who could still my mind?

Shall I take the Sr3 or the 416 for that job....i mean, the SR is defintely more stable and maybe safer in this case.

Thank you

Conrad Lobst

Germany

• Premium Member

I've never done anything like that, but if it were me, I would definitely take the SR3 over the 416. If you could live with regular 16 instead of Super 16 I would consider taking an Arriflex 16S or 16S/B with just the 100 ft daylight spools. Far fewer mechanical things to be effected by the G-Forces.

I would also be very concerned about the lens and lens mount. If you are using short primes, and small primes (like the old Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 lenses) you will be better off. With a heavy lens like a medium to large size zoom or one of the newer Master Primes or Ultra Primes, or a Cooke S4, I would be very concerned about the FFD of the camera, depending on what orientation the G-Forces strike the camera.

Probably be a good thing to shoot a test with first.

Can a Cessna withstand 5G?

Best,

-Tim

I've never done anything like that, but if it were me, I would definitely take the SR3 over the 416. If you could live with regular 16 instead of Super 16 I would consider taking an Arriflex 16S or 16S/B with just the 100 ft daylight spools. Far fewer mechanical things to be effected by the G-Forces.

I would also be very concerned about the lens and lens mount. If you are using short primes, and small primes (like the old Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 lenses) you will be better off. With a heavy lens like a medium to large size zoom or one of the newer Master Primes or Ultra Primes, or a Cooke S4, I would be very concerned about the FFD of the camera, depending on what orientation the G-Forces strike the camera.

Probably be a good thing to shoot a test with first.

Can a Cessna withstand 5G?

Best,

-Tim

hey,

thanks a lot for your hints....the rental and me decided to take a SR3 HighSpeed, because of the more stable pressure plate and the simple designed magazine structure according to the 416 mag with the windings and curves...dont know the real title.

The lens mount is absolutely understandable. We will definetly use Ultra Primes for that shot, so I`ll think about adding a supportbridge for zoom lenses with this prime.

thanks a lot

I`ll keep you up to date with the results

Best regards from Germany

Conne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

thank you everybody.

we did it last tuesday and it went pretty fine. The pilot is still alive, he did terrific moves and it all looks brilliant from the passenger seat.

SR3 HS + Ultra 16 12mm + LMB5 + kodak 7201 122mm

everthing was saved well by the keygrip and I did the rest at the SR; Securing the lens mount with a belt was a could hint, thanks.

Thanks a lot

Best regards from Germany

Conne